Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shift lever assembly unexpected failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 02:23 PM
P AKA sharkdog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Gear shift lever assembly unexpected failure

I was pulling out of the parking garage the other day and the shifter started feeling a bit strange. All of a sudden, the shift lever was twirling around like a broken leg. The weld between the shift lever and the shift rod (the rod that extends back to the transaxle) just failed. This is the weld at the tip of the shift rod, that makes the female connection to the shift lever.

Now I have to pull this thing out and have it welded or braised. Anyone have any experience with removing a shift rod with the transaxle still in the car, etc.

Oh yeah, as I sat there wondering what to do, I pulled the shift boot off and took a look. It was apparant that the weld just gave way, so I grasped the shift rod and soon found out I could make the shifts by careful pulling and tugging on the ole rod. I drove home, on a rather long selected route with few stoplights, and never missed a shift. My fingers, however were rather chaffed and hot due to all the heat coming up through the opening.

Need some help figuring out how to pull out the rod and such. Any tips will be appreciated!

P (AKA "sharkdog")
Old 07-05-2001, 02:29 PM
P AKA sharkdog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should clarify the problem was on my 1984 944 5-speed. All said and done, one rapid little road spider!

P "sharkdog"

Quick Reply: Gear shift lever assembly unexpected failure