Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM
kingston944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a no spark issue and it was dirty connection where the wires plug into the bottom of fuse box. I ended up replacing mine.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
simxxi
Track Day

Update. My connector for the harness side of the Reference sensor. Ordered a new one and replaced. I have a good coil now and ignition wires. Now I am getting spark but still no start. I have fuel but I have no compression aproximately 10 lbs across all four cylinders. Pressure tester checked yes it works. Something did not get assembled correctly during the HG replacement. I removed the cam housing assy. So far to reveal the valves. If my headgasket was not torqued down correctly I would expect coolant and or oil leaking out of the head block intersection. Let ya know what I find or if anyone has any ideas. No Spark to No compression now.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Well that sucks. Too bad you already took off the cam assembly. Now you can't determine if it was out of time. Most likely your valves are bent if you're not getting good compression numbers. You might be able to tell if you look at all the valve stem heights. If a valve is bent, it won't seat, and the stem will be lower than normal. So if you look at your head and some are at different heights, then you have bent valves. I never had bent ones, so I don't know if this would work. You're probably going to have to take the head off anyway. Who did the HG job?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
simxxi
Track Day

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. I pulled the head and all 4 of the larger Diameter "Exhaust" ? valves are about an 1/8" open. With the cam housing off it was obvious. Looks like I'm looking for another head. One here on Rennslist and one on e-bay. No known good machine shops around where I live. My Bad as I was the one who did the HG.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM
simxxi
Track Day

Update. Received replacement head and installed. No go. Would only rotate to about the 5 oclock position and stop. Problem was in head. The head was cleaned and valves looked good and seats replaced. Ordered a valve spring compressor and discovered the cup washer under the valve spring was inserted upside down. Reassembled head now rotates 360 Degrees. Car is running now but temperature gauge is creeping up above the 3/4 mark. Low speed cooling fan comes on and high speed comes on at or above 3/4 but the temperature never comes down. Suspecting still lots of air in the system or the temperature sensor on the block is flakey. When the fans do come on the needle actually jumps to the right hotter 1 to 2 needle width. Pressure tested cooling system good. 70 C fan switch and new thermostat. Radiator tested and cleaned. Oil cooler seals replaced, Water pump, timing belt, balance belt, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, reference and speed sensor, cap, rotor, plugs, dme relay etc........ all replaced.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Your list sounds like mine. When you get the car warmed up, did you turn the heater on and then bleed the system? I didn't check to see if you verified the timing belt was tight enough to turn the water pump? As a basic theory, if you can barely turn the water pump pulley by hand, then the timing belt is tight enough. How old is the water pump and thermostat? I'm also wondering if you have a coolant hose that's either kinked or collapsing..

Quick Reply: No Spark