Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting of msd ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 05:10 PM
instigator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mounting of msd ignition

i'm going to do the msd like Skip has but i have no room in the engine bay to mout it, so i was thinking since its only a trigger device with no real high voltage coming from the wires i was looking at mounting it onto the top of the foot board on the pass side and routing the wires with those from the dme. now my delima is i really dont know if this thing doesn't produce high voltage and would it interfere with the wiring from the dme (inductance or whatever its called in the sparkey world).

i have tried to find a spot in the engine bay but i really dont want to drill into any of the structures so i have to mount it inside. i have seen other cars(race that is ) mount them inside onto the firwall but i dont know all there is to know about these types of systems. i have searched this site and the web to only find the specs of the unit and nothing of where not to mount it or the best place to mount it.

so maybe you guys can help, also i'm still looking for the ignition cable terminals from wurth for the 7-8mm wires
Old 02-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts
why not go in through the engine compartment right by the battery???? It just seems like a lil more space there and its easier to run the wires through that part of the firewall to the coil...

I'm doing the same thing on my car too... Be sure to use the Blaster 2 or Blaster SS coils for your MSD unit...are you getting a 6A box or 6AL? If its the AL you need to tap into the tac. the 6A has the wire for it but you don't have to connect it.

just my 2 cents..
Old 02-27-2002, 06:19 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that none of the following answers your question, but for what its worth...

Skip had his mounted on a vertical surface that ran in a front to rear direction that was real close to the battery - sort of under the big flimsy plastic cover. I remember, because I wanted to mount my Crane Cam unit there, but the Crane unit was to big.

I ended up mounting my “trigger” under the passenger side headlight. It was a real PIA to mount, but it is out of harms way and, more importantly, it is away from any major heat source, like the exhaust.

Old 02-27-2002, 06:26 PM
instigator
Racer

i will be getting the 6A unit, as far as the space where the batt is, well i have the vaccum reservoir there so that is why i ask about the inside installation. and the only reason for wanting to mount on the kick panel is i have no passengers to haul and it would be mounted high enough to avoid being kicked (via a home made bracket)
Old 02-27-2002, 06:50 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

i'll be having the same problem with my 6BTM

my question is what is under that plactic thing toward the windshild? i say if there is room, place it there

thanks,
space
Old 02-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts
woah crap i just checked my car and i have that vacuum thing there too...where do ya mount that ignition again?????? Cuz I have that big giant windshield washer reservoir on my car and it takes up everything practically. THe car is a 1984
Old 02-28-2002, 10:12 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
I mounted my MSD unit behind the battery. I had to take out the battery and the horn (i think), screw the unit into the car and then replace the two. It actually came out real nice and looks kind of trick.

Quick Reply: mounting of msd ignition