Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Difficult" starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:18 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post "Difficult" starting

I dunno, guys...

Lately my venerable 84 has been taking about 2 secs worth of cranking. She always starts, but it used to me just whack the key. And, for the first 30-60 secs she wants to stall. Just curious..Have I overlooked something simple? Belts checked in June, oil change, $185 of "check out" before the trip cross country. Any suggestions for the old guy?

Thanks

Bob S.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:30 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If this just started, check for the smell of gas after you shut down... and before startup. Could be you've developed a leaky injector. Enough to cause hard starting due to flooding... and the subsequent foul running.

Might also be time for new plugs, cap, and rotor.

Many other things can cause hard starting... like fuel pump, filter, check-valve, pressure regulator, etc.

I would start by checking the plugs/cylinders for excess fuel after shutting down or before starting. Zero cost options are always first for me

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2001, 03:22 AM
FR Wilk
Banned

Originally posted by Bob S.:
<STRONG> And, for the first 30-60 secs she wants to stall. </STRONG>
It sounds like your Auxiliary Air Valve has quit. It supplies added air for the first few minutes to bring up the RPMs.

FR Wilk
1984 944
http://members.tripod.com/944dme

Old 07-26-2001, 11:24 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also might want to check the indash ignition switch. That caused a problem starting on mine.

One sign that it could be this is if the buzzer doesn't sound when your door is open and the key is in the ignition. Before i replaced the switch it didn't sound, after, it does!
Old 07-27-2001, 12:42 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Thanks guys....I had the car gone over by my friendly neighborhood PCA mech before loading on the truck for transport out here to sunny AZ. The wires and plugs and rotor were new last summer as were the belts. Water pump, seals and idler changed as well; less than 3k on the mess since then. Once warmed up she runs quite well; an occasional gas smell, but that's been on and off since I bought the car three years ago. A new cannister removed most of the odor problem. We have been busy with the unpacking, redecorating etc. We bought a used VW Passat from a local dealer and it has been nothing but trouble. The Dealer is Friday Auto Exchange in Tucson. Avoid them like the Plague. Car keeps blowing the fuse to the fuelpump and I can't seem to get them to understand that a blown fuse is a symptom, not the problem. They say their warranty doesn't include fuel pumps and that fuel pump failure is not covered under the Lemon Law. Nice folks.

Sorry for the rant.

Caveat Emptor

Bob S. (still recovering from the costs of relocating across country.....)
Old 10-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Lamah
Instructor

my car takes a while to start too, except mine doesnt run very well even after its been running for a bit. the car acts flooded, as i have to put the gas all the way down to start it. Any ideas whay could cause something like that ?

thanks,
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 10-28-2001, 10:05 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started to have some hard start problems several months ago. I noticed that the longer the sat, the harder it was to start. When it had sat for about a week, the car would stutter for several seconds. I also noticed the smell of gas in the oil, especially if I had not really got the oil hot enough to burn off the impurities in the oil.

I changed my injectors and I no longer have the gas in oil smell and I do not have problems with stuttering when the car has been sitting for a week.

However, it still takes a few seconds to start (2-3 seconds, but it seems like a minute – especially when people are watching ;-). There was a time that it cranked immediately, but even after new injectors, plugs, plug wires, ignition system, rotor & cap it still takes a few cranks.

Edit: I never push on the gas to start the car, when I do it acts flooded and takes longer to start. I just turn the key and let it start when it wants.

Quick Reply: "Difficult" starting