Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: Head Gasket replacement on 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Update: Head Gasket replacement on 944 Turbo

Problem: Coolant in oil.
Cause: Had oil cooler pressure checked and was found at fault.
So far I have he head off and in the process of getting it resurfaced. I also cleaned all the old gaskets off around the cylinders and used 800 grit paper to smooth them out. Is there anything else I should do to make sure my widefire ring mates well both my block and head? Also I bought a used oil cooler and also purchased a new seal kit. I just finished getting the seals installed and I'm ready to install that as well. My questions is do I need a special tool to line the oil cooler up to the block? If so how much is it? Also is there a second oil cooler on our cars in front of the passenger side wheel underneath the car? Could this be bad as well? Oh yeah one last thing why does every porsche shop I call only carry a 1 pole oil pressure sending unit for my car when I need a 3 pole sending unit? Any info would be great.

Thanks Again
Old 11-29-2001, 11:42 PM
freak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how did the oil cooler get pressure checked...did you do it yourself? i am going through a headgasket job now, i dont think there was hardly any coolant/oil mixing, but i want to be sure...thanx
Old 11-30-2001, 01:10 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I took it off and had my mechanic who knows a guy who pressure tests the oil cooler and that is how I knew it was bad. Talk to a machine shop and see if they can do it.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:15 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished doing this on my '88 plain-jane 944. The '88 doesn't require the special alignment tool - the pressure relief valve is its own alignment tool. Not sure about your '87 though - you're the changeover year I think.

I too had oil/coolant mixing. I put the updated seal kit into the oil cooler, and also updated the heat shield to the latest design - it wraps all the way up around #1 exhaust manifold and should really help keep the oil cooler insulated - I think heat from the manifold is a big contributor to those seals failing. If you have the head off, now's the time to update the heat shield since it looks about impossible to install with the head in place.

I used ScotchBrite to clean up my head gasket surfaces, as well as all other gasketing surfaces. Works great.

I just started my car last sunday and haven't driven it yet (except for pulling it in and out of the garage a couple times), so it's a bit early to tell if I fixes all my problems, but so far it seems I did.

Good luck.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Update: Head Gasket replacement on 944 Turbo