Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze in Engine Oil - Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Antifreeze in Engine Oil - Oil Cooler?

Ok, so I'm still dealing with this 88 944S im in the process of buying. To recap, one of the biggest problems with it was antifreeze mixed with engine oil. I was told by the Porsche dealership that the oil cooler should be replaced along with the connecting rod bearings... now...

place im buying it from says the oil cooler is definitely the culprit, or perhaps its the o-rings but most likely the oil cooler but theres no chance that the rod bearings are contaminated... now...

my question is, is that true? how is the system constructed anyway, is it possible to find antifreeze in the oil but that it didnt contaminate the rod bearings somehow? i dont wanna be scammed here...

thanks =]
Old 01-02-2002, 11:57 PM
Tabor
Drifting

The rod bearings were contaminated for sure. However, there is debate over whether they REALLY need to be replaced.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:41 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Operator, they have probably steered you right, although there's no way you can tell the condition of the internal cooler, unless it's pressure tested. Only you can decided to reuse it or not, depending on results.
These engines are capable of withstanding this failure. On the few, I've check the bearings on, they really did'nt require replacement.

If your able to get the car cheap enough, while your doing the cooler job, pull the lower balance shaft, it's usually leaking anyway, since it's at a lower orientation on the block, it runs on bearings of the same material as the rod bearings. If you wipe them clean and you see spotting, like oxidation or peeling, then go for the crank bearings, otherwise, reassemble the balance shaft and cooler and enjoy, IMHO one of the best P cars out there..

Terry
Old 01-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Dano_944
Instructor

Operator: bad oil cooler seals are most likely your culprit. There are many strings about oil cooler failures in 924, 944, 951 motors in this site's history. I don't know of a single motor in these cars that, after 60K to 100K didn't need a oil cooler seal kit or complete cooler replacement. Mine have been done twice (200K on motor, and still running strong). The seals themselves have gone thru about 4 generations of change. That's a clue! As far as bearings, I agree with 951and944S; these motor's lower end are practically bomb-proof. If the oil/coolant mix hasn't been on the bearings long, or been heated up too much on a long trip, your lower end should be fine. Checking the balance shaft bearings is a perfect way to gauge the condition of the main bearings. If you're considering buying the car, have the seller fix it, or remove the cost of repairs prior to purchase. With the current price of repairs vs. cost of the typical clean 944, you should get the car for the price of a good meal and a handshake! Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2002, 04:02 PM
rplencne
Instructor

I don't know ... the forces acting on the balance shaft, main, and rod bearings are significantly different. Lubrication problems, whether they be loss of pressure (ie the infamous # rod bearing) or oil/coolant mix should have varying effects in all three places. I'm not so sure I'd use the condition of the BS bearings as a gauge of the condition of the rod bearings. But, I might use the state of the rod bearings as a gauge of other bearing if I was trying to avoid tearing the whole thing down. I think you could probably run the motor for quite a while with a coolant/oil mix, and not hurt the BS bearings, but really tear up the rod bearings.

I agree, if the motor wasn't run much after the mix, all the bearing are probably OK. But, I don't think anyone knows how long the motor was run, so I would assume the worst. If the sale is via a private party that might be able to give more detail, that might help, but the original post suggested that it is not a private sale, possibly a used car dealer who's less apt to know all the details or share bad news with the buyer.

-Bob P.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze in Engine Oil - Oil Cooler?