Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal not shutting off after turn

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001 | 04:50 PM
par4thecrs
4th Gear

Post turn signal not shutting off after turn

my turn signal does not stay on for left turn and does not shut off on a right turn. Is this relatively easy to adjust before I go taking the cover off the steering? Any tips?
Old 11-26-2001 | 04:52 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you say "not stay on" do you mean that the stalk will not stay in place, or that the stalk is always wanting to return to its rest position?

Eric
Old 11-26-2001 | 04:56 PM
par4thecrs
4th Gear

For a left hand turn, the stalk returns to it's resting position. For a right hand turn, I can turn the signal on but it won't turn off with the steering wheel normal operation.
Old 11-26-2001 | 08:54 PM
Pete B
AutoX

I just recently went through having this exact same problem. You will need to replace the turn signal/wiper/cruise(if equipped) control head that is located below the steering wheel. You can try getting a used unit from some of the places that sell used stuff. FYI..if you try to fix the existing unit by drilling out the rivets, be real careful, lots of small springs and contacts and then you will end up buying the part anyhow becuse some of the plastic pieces will be broken.
Old 11-27-2001 | 09:19 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Which year/model do you have? Pete's suggestion sounds good, but you may want to pull the wheel first and see if there is any physical blockage(little things first). The cancellation tab on your hub may be broken or out of whack.

Eric
Old 11-27-2001 | 09:27 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just noticed your other post concerning high beams--Pete is correct it is either the control unit or the multi-function stalk itself.

Eric
Old 11-27-2001 | 12:54 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

If you take the wheel off, you will find some plastic parts that reliese the lever lock when the wheel is returning to mid position.
These plastic parts are moved by a "finger" connected to the wheel hub and pressedtowards the center of the mechanism via springs.
Could be that either the plastic parts or the spring just has "passed away".
These parts are not obtainable but with a bit of luck you can use the parts from VW Golf series 1 & 2.
Take Care
Old 11-27-2001 | 01:29 PM
Melchior
Pro

I had the same problem but was able to fix it by removing the turn signal assembly: remember to disconnect the battery if you have airbags. You will need a torx bit (T-30) to get the airbag off and a 21mm-ish socket to remove the steering wheel. Then the real fun begins. The rubber surround that goes around the turn sigal assembly needs to be cut(preferably behind the turn signal lever) in order to remove it. Then the turn signal assembly itself need to be removed by loosening the 8mm clamping bolt that is accessable through a small slit in the hard plastic dash (beneath the steering column). You will need an extension to reach it with the 8mm socket. After you remove the trun signal assembly, spray the insides with a dielectric spray/cleaner several times, letting the crud pour out of it. Let it dry and reassemble. CAUTION: Do not turn the ignition past the OFF position with the airbag disconnected or you will activate the 'airbag warning' light on your insrtument panel and this can only be reset by using a Porsche handheld computer. Don't ask how I know this!

Quick Reply: turn signal not shutting off after turn