Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Code lights + Superwhite bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you say so if you can put together a kit for under >150 then count me in i guess!
Old 02-06-2002, 02:51 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OpSx, there is no way a quality kit can be put together for under $150. The lenses alone are in the $100 range.

Suggest you go to J.C. Whitney and get your stuff. Shouldn't cost much & won't work well, but who cares?
Old 02-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go ahead and do the whole kit OpSx- the standard H4 kits cost $100 by themselves, and that doesn't include grounds, relays, wiring, etc, plus, if you rewire now (even if you have to pay for an hour or two of labor for someone else to do it) then it's done, and your wiring nice and new. I don't know too much about this stuff (I've learned a lot from Jaws here), but I do know that the voltage drop in these cars is usually pretty severe- not only that, but everyone agrees that we need more grounds- I just added one, and plan to add another...

Iceshark- why don't you go ahead and start a thread on this board (and the Turbo board) to see how many people are ready to do this? Also, would your kit be useable for other Porsche models, like 911's, and 928's, 914's, etc? I'm sure you could get a few takers on those boards too, if your kit would work for them. I believe some of those cars have the same size lights and all don't they? Anyway, how many takers do you have so far?
Old 02-06-2002, 03:14 PM
bs
Pro

ice:

one of these days you are going to get sick of saving the whole 944 population from their bad headlights and cheapness.

and why is it that a board full of people who regularly do big scary maintenence on their cars shudder in fear at the thought of running power wires to something. really people, supplying power to something is not complicated at all... tapping into the existing wiring is a mechanical problem and therefore requires skills but if you can grasp the concept of current running from + to - then you understand it all. attack this with the same logic and lack of fear that you attack other somewhat unknown issues on your car, and you will discover that it really is pretty damn trivial.

and ice: i've asked you this before, but i don't remember if you replied. you have proven yourself to be _the_ authority on aftermarket lighting and so i am very curious what you have against piaa. a few years ago when i did the lights in my ford i did a fair amount of reasearch and came to the conclusion that piaa made good quality non rice lights, albeit on the pricey side. the only complaints i have ever heard of them is that they have a short life, but i think this is caused by voltage transients during engine starting/stopping. i turn my lights on AFTER my engine and shut them off BEFORE killing the engine. I drive with my low beams on 99% of the time, day or night, and have had these same bulbs for over 2 years with no failures. I have nothing but good to say about the high quality of the light, the undisturbed beam pattern, and the not at all ricey color. I also put on a pair of piaa fog lights which i loved dearly until one of them was destroyed.

i consider myself pretty picky about my lighting (cruise the back roads of northern vermont and you will see why) and piaa has satisfied me well... what am i missing?
Old 02-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

It IS kind of funny how many people will rush right out and buy $2000 MAF's and screw around adjusting their ARCII computers, as well as dial-a-boost, throwing 20+psi at their engines, but won't drop a few hundred bucks on their lights. I know everything adds up, and it's nice to have a harder push when you floor it, after having spent $$$ on upgrades, but people regularly spend large amounts on spoilers, mirrors, door handles (I can't believe the prices people pay for 968 door handles), all for looks- rims are usually the worst- they're normally done for looks alone, obviously, since they usually add so much weight. Lights are a good thing- I do more driving at night than in the day, so it's sort of important to me- people will pay $100 to make their cars lights blue, so they can look rice, but just changing the color doesn't improve visibility- I don't understand that at all. Oh well, it's like I'vwe said before- most of us bought our cars (944 series) b/c they seemed like such relative bargains. In the end, however, most of us have put so much into them that we're leary of spending more, it's like a limit has been reached or something, and we're also afraid of being ripped off- as most of have been before...

Robby (who has over $20K total in a $9K 951...)
Old 02-06-2002, 04:20 PM
pikey7
Drifting

I just ordered a Carrera GT light kit for my 951 from club autosport in the UK. Great price including lights but......

'cause the UK is RHD, he can't find any LHD lights to ship with it!

Does anyone know of any good sources for those lights (I think they're 4x6")??? Preferably in Europe, as then i don't have to mess around with duty, but the US will do if you don't

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2002, 05:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ben, yes I have a hard-on against PIAA. I could explain why I and many others have a legit knock on them but I clearly have a hard time convincing people how to improve the 944 lights, much less the way PIAA rips folks off. All you have to do is to talk to someone that has actually measured PIAA light products to know that they usually run about 50% worse than anything off the shelf for many times the price. In general, PIAA is $hit.

I see Daniel Stern's lighting website has been posted. He is a pretty good advocate for better lighting. If you think I get carried away, you should talk to him!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:57 PM
bs
Pro

Arrow

well, ice, your patience with this topic astounds me, so i will not attempt to drag out of you an explanation of why piaa sucks... but i normally take product quality and engineering superiority very seriously and was quite sure i had made a good desicion. if you are ever bored please enlighten me (or point me to a web site) so that i can at least modify my research methods so as not to select inferior products next time i go to buy something i know little about.

alright, here's a question almost entirely unrelated to this thread, but i bet if ice doesn't know the answer, tabor will look it up for me

how does the system of rating the spectral content of light as an absolute temperature work? i have a vauge reccolection of some black box equation about radiation from a body with unity emmissivity.... but i have trouble understanding how a single numerical scale can describe all the possibilities that one could plot as power output versus frequency.

Quick Reply: E-Code lights + Superwhite bulbs?