Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helpo Getting a 'dead' car onto a trailer...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 02:44 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helpo Getting a 'dead' car onto a trailer...

Got a quick question regarding getting a 'dead' car (one that will not run on it's own) up the ramps and onto a trailer...
I've never had to do this before (I've always been able to simply 'drive' the car up), and I don't have access to a winch.

What would be the 'best' way to get the car up onto the trailer? I'm thinking of attaching a tow rope to the front towing eye of the dead car/ hitch of the tow vehicle, and pulling the car up with the trailer unattached (with the trailers front legs down.)
Anything wrong with this method? Is it safe?
Any better suggestions?

EDIT--
The trailer is an standard 'open' style twin axle(not enclosed)

Thanks
Raagi
88 951S
Old 01-04-2002, 03:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be OK if you block that trailer very good so it doesn't move on you. I also assume you will have a couple helpers around - one in the car and another to watch things and sound an alarm if something starts to go haywire.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Renntag
Pro

Do you have a 'come-a-long' ? A cheap one can be had easily and is a very important tool. If you can afford a good unit, its worth the investment. You may need a length of chain or tow strap to make up the difference between the tow vehicle/ front of trailer that the come-a-long cant reach.
I usually hook the come-a-long to the hitch assembly on the tow vehicle.
Note: I once saw someone load a car onto a trailer disconnected from its tow vehicle....the front of the trailer went up into the air and cam crashing down damaging the trailer's jack. stay connected.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:24 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he blocks the rear end of the trailer frame he should be OK. But you are correct in that the tongue weight won't be much and will likely lift off if unblocked. A come a long with trailer on the hitch would be a much more controlled way.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
I've performed this stunt, no problem. Leave the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle, "jacknifed" at about a 45 degree angle or so. and pull the dead car up onto the trailer with a third car. Done right, you can get a good straight pull up. It helps that I live on the end of a dead end street and had a whole circle of asphalt to play in.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:46 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

I think even if you block the rear of the trailer, you run the risk of the trailer scooting forward. I have had a VERY easy time with one driver and two people pushing my 951 up onto my open, two axel trailer. Leaving the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle makes it much more stable. My 951 weighs about 500 lbs less than stock, and I can get it on the trailer with only one person pushing it (need a bit of a running start, though)

good luck
Old 01-04-2002, 09:22 PM
FR Wilk
Banned

Cool

Originally posted by RPG951S:
<STRONG>What would be the 'best' way to get the car up onto the trailer? </STRONG>
If the ramp is not too steep, you can run it up using the starter motor. Put it in gear and hit the starter motor. I had to move a car around the block once and up a steep driveway. The battery gave out half way up the driveway.

FR Wilk
1984 944
http://members.tripod.com/early944
http://members.tripod.com/944dme

Quick Reply: Helpo Getting a 'dead' car onto a trailer...