Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are people doing for the rear-most section of fuel return line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:29 PM
16valver
Racer

Default What are people doing for the rear-most section of fuel return line?

Just got off the phone with Sunset Porsche here in the P. Apparently this fuel line no longer exists. #10 on this diagram in the PET:

I've got the other lines that link up the the tank, pump, filter, and inlet hard line, but the only return line I've been able to source is the LR stainless line. Don't really want to drop $100 on a single piece of return line so I though I would ask if anyone has a cool solution.

I saw a thread a while back about making one (or something relating to that...) and was sort of curious about whether I could get a hold of a generic length of line with the compression fitting on one end and nothing on the other end, then use the hole punch trick to pull it up over the tank blah blah blah...

Let me know whats up.

Last edited by 16valver; 03-06-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2013 | 07:50 PM
kev951
Rennlist Member

It's just a return line with low pressure, very simple
Old 03-06-2013 | 08:01 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by kev951
It's just a return line with low pressure, very simple
Yeah I know that, that wasn't really the question dude, haha. What is it being replaced with? I don't really care how low of pressure it is etc, the one in my car looks horribly decrepit and I want to get something else in there soon.
Old 03-06-2013 | 08:03 PM
16valver
Racer

I'm not leaking anything yet...but its only a matter of time.
Old 03-06-2013 | 08:23 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Many people use the LR lines or similar.
Might also be worth having a conversation with Travis @ Rennbay to see if his line kit is compatible.
Old 03-06-2013 | 10:20 PM
16valver
Racer

I checked that out, doesn't look like he's got what I need. I suppose if I could get a length of hose and a compression fitting form him I could just replicate whats already in the car.

All I need is the one line. Thats it. I've got all the other ones. I'll see what I can stir up in the DIY realm.
Old 03-06-2013 | 10:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Maybe a shop that does hoses? Im as diy as anyone else but i wont mess around with this particular project as the location of fuel lines in this car means fire if your not quite right.

That LR kit is cheaper than an engine fire. Just use both sections of it. $110 isn't that bad really.
Old 03-06-2013 | 10:48 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by Arominus
Maybe a shop that does hoses? Im as diy as anyone else but i wont mess around with this particular project as the location of fuel lines in this car means fire if your not quite right.

That LR kit is cheaper than an engine fire. Just use both sections of it. $110 isn't that bad really.
Very true, very true...

I'm not exactly sure if we are on the same page or not haha. I know I'm way off for sure... heres the lindsey line which is somehow half the cost I thought it was (haha): http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...4-FLK-110.html. Anyway... I'm talking about the fuel lines at the rear of the car, which aren't very close to stuff thats HOT per say.. but I agree this is not a project that should be half assed.

Now that I've realized that the lindsey line costs less than the factory replacements that don't exist any more, I think I'll just go with that - Good call Arominus!!
Old 03-07-2013 | 02:16 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

The one end is just a crimp fitting so you can grind or cut the collar of the fitting off then just use a clamp on that end. I believe that is what I did before. You could always take it to a shop that does hoses and they could make one for you no problem and a hell of alot cheaper than that LR one. Just make sure you tell them/get fuel line hose.
Old 03-07-2013 | 05:06 PM
nofalls
Racer

+1 on cutting off the crimp fitting. Use a leather punch to put a hole in the old hose at the top of the tank. Tie on a rope and pull it down. Then use the rope to pull a new length of regular fuel line from your FLAPS back up. Just use clamps at both ends after cutting to length. Here is a pic opf the tank out so you have an idea of how simple the routing is.

The red arrow points to where the return line runs under the two vapor hoses.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013 | 12:25 AM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by nofalls
+1 on cutting off the crimp fitting. Use a leather punch to put a hole in the old hose at the top of the tank. Tie on a rope and pull it down. Then use the rope to pull a new length of regular fuel line from your FLAPS back up. Just use clamps at both ends after cutting to length. Here is a pic opf the tank out so you have an idea of how simple the routing is.

The red arrow points to where the return line runs under the two vapor hoses.
Yep the routing and hole punch trick is nothing new, in fact I think I read your post on this very thing a while ago.

Only thing I'm confused about is "FLAPS". What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, the plan is to not drop the tank. Just get something made with the proper fitting on one end so I could tie into the hard line easily, then rope it up to the sending unit. I'll see if I can communicate with a shop that could make something like this for me.
Old 03-08-2013 | 09:29 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Friendly Local Automotive Parts Store.

I just used a plastic barbed coupler between the new and old hoses and fed it down that way.
Old 03-08-2013 | 11:16 PM
nofalls
Racer

What CurtP said. Good idea. Cut off the old fitting crimp like this. Scroll about 3/4 down to where it says "General Info: the hard lines are 8 & 10 mm OD. Ideal rubber hose size to fit with these metric lines is 5/16ths and 3/8ths inch ID." (Thank you George)

http://arnnworx.com/fuel_lines.htm

Quick Reply: What are people doing for the rear-most section of fuel return line?