Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in water/water in oil who knows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 05:21 PM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification
Old 06-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

OK guys here goes. There are posts on this on the old board, and I got a lot of info. from them. I have an 89 S2 with 62k that had/(has?) oil in the coolant. this past february I had the coolant flushed, and replaced the expansion tank. 4k later the tank was full of sludge.

I ordered the seal kit to fix a 944 NA. I posted the question about american mechanics being afraid of working on porches because my mechanic was deathly afraid of messing up.

I gave my mechanic the 5 volume set of service manuals, the haynes manual, and pictures from the web.

CONCLUSION:
If you take of the housing for the oil cooler there are two hoses that go to the external oil cooler. There are also two green o-rings. When we did the forensics, we saw a oil stains on the o rings. The o rings are in the same place as on the older NA's, and somehow have contact with a water passage. The seal kit had some extra parts. We only needed the big gasket, and some of the o rings.

After the o rings were replaced, my mechanic spent a lot of time cleaning out the sludge in the upper radiator hoses. He used a rod with a rag - sort of like an angioplasty for the arteries.

Maybe your sludge is residue from the radiator hoses.

If anyone has more info to clear up/correct what I'm posting please correct me. I'm using the car (this was supposed to be a winter car, and I really prefer driving my RX7 Convertible these days)(my wife's using the car - and scrubbing curbs - tune in for posts about wheel repair 90's) hoping to see if more sludge accumulates - or preferably doesn't accumulate in the water tank.

TOOLS
There is an alignment tool. Performance sold me one,and the job was done 3 days before the "in stock" part was delivered. When the job was almost done, I ordered one from Pelican, and theirs arrived the same day the Performance one came. They are different. I think performance sold me the one that fits the earlier years. Since my brother has an 84 with 31K i know the part will come in handy. My mechanic did the job with out the tool, but suggests it, and plans on opening/aligning/tightening the housing after about 1,500 miles if this seems to have done the trick.

Good luck
sorry about the length

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Tom R ]

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Tom R ]
Old 06-28-2001, 09:38 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. go Tom.

not sure if that constitutes a shoe-eating for me or not...

nah - not for a single case...

BTW - had the housing been off previously that you are aware of? Perhps the alignmnet issue caused the problem? were the O rings damaged/crimped?

Trying to keep the footware on the feet...
Old 06-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Tom - perfect discription. Just what I saw a few months back on my rebuild. You do need to be sure that the housing is aligned.. if not you will cut the lower O ring. Other than that.. I am sure that it can mix oil and water if the o-rings are not in good shape. Mine looked good, but there was some coolant in the housing when I ripped it all apart. I would suspect a head gasket more than oil seals if the intrusion of oil is excessive.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:04 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
munch munch.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:38 AM
TomH
Pro

munch munch, me too
Old 07-01-2001, 08:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Talking

Keep your shoes on the pedals! Isnt this board so we can all help each other to not make the same mistakes we make/same mistakes twice.

I got a lot of advice that it was definitely a head gasket. In fact I won't know if what I said works for another 3,500 miles or so. Thats assuming no kamikazee moves by my beloved (standing next to me). She told me today she learned what downshifting is for, and liked guning it. OUCH!
Old 07-03-2001, 10:17 PM
JohnK944T
Advanced

Question

Hey, what do you think of this? I just read an article in Excellences, it was about the proper warm up of 944 Turbos. Basically the acticle stated that a car that is driven short distances where the oil does not reach 180 degrees will build up foam due to condensation. Has any seen this happen? Is there a better oil? I use durablend. Where should my temp. guage be? Right now it hits the second mark.

JohnK

Quick Reply: Oil in water/water in oil who knows?