Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about popup headlight modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 09:40 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Question about popup headlight modification

Hi,

When I turn on the headlight switch to the first detente, the fogs come on but not the main headlights, which remain
undeployed. At the second detente the headlights pop up. All is well.

When I turn the switch back to the first detente, the headlights go off but do not fold down-- they remain popped up, but
off. It is only when I turn the whole shebang to off that they retract.

I believe this is normal functioning. My question is this: is there a simple
mod that will permit the headlights to fold back down when going from the second detente back to the first? It seems more
logical, and more useful. I tend to drive with the fogs on as running lights (for safety, also it looks cool) but I don't like having
to turn everything full off from full on before I can be driving with just fogs, and headlamps retracted.

TIA

Thaddeus
Old 06-26-2001, 10:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. I think that they don't go down so that you can flash your low beems on-and-off at cars that don't have their head lights on.

2. Driving with your parking lights on but not your head lights is illegal. As is driving with your fog lights on without your headlights. Also, driving with your fog lights on without need is illegal. At least in Oregon, and many other places.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Tabor Kelly ]
Old 06-26-2001, 10:58 PM
C DeVito
Racer

I made the fogs daytime running lights separate of the master switch, from a post on this list a few years ago and have run them that way in PA and DE with no problems. I am not aware of this being illegal, but I will check into it.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:59 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I thought I should clairify. At least in oregon, Fog lights are to be used as "suplamental low beams" and only to be used in times of low visibility.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:17 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I believe the headlights are allowed to remain up but off so you can easily do things like clean them, and change bulbs when necessary.

BMW and Grand Am drivers in Oregon must have a hard time constantly having to make bail. I don't believe either of those makes provide for an "off" switch for the foglights.

I often use the fogs as running lights when needed, and I've never had any problem (running with just the parking lights is illegal and rather pointless).

My 84 would light the fogs by themselves and the fogs would stay lit on high and low beams. On my 87 the fogs will turn on without the headlights but will go off on high beams. Since it's not a turbo/S2, i will need a euro bumper for driving lights.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:17 AM
agent944
Instructor

Red face

I also used to drive with my fogs on during the day from time to time, but I stopped doing it because I constantly forgot to turn them off and ended up draining my battery several times, leaving me stranded in the parking lot Is there a way to wire the switch so as to automatically shut itself off after shutting off the engine. I know high end cars (i.e. mercedes) have this kind of system for their headlights.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:47 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i also use foglamps as driving lamps.In the Nordic countries,at least in Finland & Sweden, we have a law which says we have to use lights on day time olso.Thing driving popup lamps on all the time...
What comes to wiring all eurospec german cars turn off automatically lights when engine is shutted down(parking lights will be on).Parking lights are not in the same place as US spec cars.On 951 models light is located in the fog light assembly.I suppose the same thing olso with 944na if i can remeber correctly.
---------------------------------------------
Olli
1988 951
Old 06-27-2001, 08:11 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care if it's 'technically' illegal. I'll call them daytime running lights (which is what I use them for) and sue the living crap out of the state for compromising my safety if they ticket me.

~cheers~

Thaddeus
Old 06-27-2001, 11:13 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agent944, what year and model do you have?

The way it should work is that no matter what the fogs should go off when the ignition key is removed. The parking lights will remain on if turned on when the key is removed, so that would cause you a forgetfull battery drain problem, but you would have to be deaf or oblivious since that annoying buzzer would sound when you opened the door to get out.

Will your headlights stay on when you pull the ignition key, they shouldn't.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:53 PM
agent944
Instructor

Red face

I have an 83 NA. The headlights turn off when the ignition key is removed, but the parking and fog lights remain on. In fact, you can turn on the fogs and parking lights without putting the key in the ignition, and the door buzzer does not go off after the key is removed. It only sounds when the door is open and the key is in.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agent, '83 had a different wiring scheme as I recall, but I would think that Porsche would have provided for this.

Anyway, if you get a wiring diagram you should be able to rewire the fog relay power supply to the light or ignition switch to fix this problem if you want to.

P.S. wonder if your car came with fogs as O.E.? maybe they were aftermarket and wired wrong?

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: IceShark ]
Old 06-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. wonder if your car came with fogs as O.E.? maybe they were aftermarket and wired wrong?
If you've seen the price for replacement lenses, you will wonder if they are aftermarket for a different reason.
As long as we're on state statutes, NJ is "on with low beams only" they don't enforce it on the street, but try getting through inspection with any other wiring, LOL
Old 06-27-2001, 10:16 PM
agent944
Instructor

Red face

Actually, all 944 NA models came with fog lights as standard. I have replaced them, with aftermarket "blue glow" fog lights (the OE replacements are just way too overpriced). But, I did not screw around with the wiring. I simply disconnected the old ones and reconnected the new ones with the existing wiring. No changes or modifications. In fact, these fogs have worked in this way even when the originals were in.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:04 AM
Gazzer
AutoX

Thumbs up

Go and have a look at the Porsche 944 Garage site. It is full of good information, including an article about front lights.
http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com/

Go to the "944 Garage Shop Manual" and then choose "Body-05" (It is filed under Headlights). I hope the information helps.

Quick Reply: Question about popup headlight modification