Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying advice again =D

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Joe944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying advice again =D

Well I found an 85.5 944 very close to my house and as far as I've been able to test it out it runs great... timing belts were checked, waterpump in good condition, clutch working perfectly.. The interior is in above average condition with the leather seats being almost perfect and the dash having no cracks, the only cosmetic problems are the paint (needs a paint job), and the sunroof motor doesn't work but he has the motor I just need to install it.

As far as other things go with the engine I'm going to have my dad (a mechanic) take a look at it today or tomorrow so if he gives me the thumbs up I'll either see if they can help me get it or take a loan out =D

He wants 3500 btw.. this a good deal?

edit: forgot miles -- 117k
Old 02-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good to me, but if you can get him to come down, even better.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:46 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the time you factor in a paint job, it's maybe a little steep price-wise for the year model, but not too bad for the miles. Negotiate!

Saying that the "belts were checked" makes me nervous... they need to be _replaced_ every 35-45K miles. TRhis is not a "nice" thing to do; it's frickin' _vital_! A visual check or a tension check is _not_ a substitue for replacement. A belt that "looks OK" can let loose tomorrow. Without fail, find out when they were replaced (verified with receipts), or add $500+ to the cost of buying the car.

Also, the sunroof may _not_ be the motor, depending on how well he did on troubleshooting. There are four (?) microswitches and some gears that can give problems... be prepared to install the motor & find you still have problems. But the DIY fixes are well-covered on the web if you need them, and the parts aren't too pricey.

Get a PPI by a qualified tech familiar with the model!!! You'll gain peace of mind at the least, and maybe some more negotiating points...

Jim, back to the Daytona 24...

Quick Reply: Buying advice again =D