Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting/idle problem + anitfreeze prob.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002 | 12:54 PM
Lamah
Instructor

Post Starting/idle problem + anitfreeze prob.

ok,
i just had my injectors rebuilt by marren motorsports and it didnt do ANYTHING for my hard start/idle problem so now i'm wondering what else could cause that ? think its time to get a cap and rotor ? any ideas are appreciated.

also, i just got a new head gasket because my 944 was leaking antifreeze into the oil. when i got it back, it was still leaking antifreeze and we thought it was traced to a hose on the waterpump being not put on good enough when it was replaced. but now its leaking into the oil again, there is oily sludge in the vaccuum lines and the oil level is past the second bar on the dipstick. Not to mention a whole lot of white foam on the oil fill and radiator fill caps. I origionally thought it was oil cooler seals, but my mechanic said "no no, its a head gasket" so $1500 later the problem persists. is it possible i blew the new gasket in about 1000 miles ?

This car is the car from hell .....

thanks,
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 02-02-2002 | 01:16 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

I would put my money on the oil cooler seals. I had the same chocolate milk on my oil cap before my head gasket replacement and after. I decided to replace my oil cooler seals. Guess what, I've gone a month now without any frothy stuff at all except for the first couple days after the repair (I assume from residual coolant in the passages). Your mechanic should have done the simpler oil cooler seals first, unless of course you had the classic big puff of white smoke and rough idle I had when the head gasket blows.
Old 02-03-2002 | 01:48 AM
Lamah
Instructor

thats the thing, compression was still good ... the only evidence he had was some froth on plug #3 ... but that could happen with oil cooler seals too, either way there is a lot of antifreeze in the oil, and maybe the was the first plug it stuck on to. Bottom line, we told him, "do the oil cooler seals" ... and he said, "i've never heard of that being the problem, its the head gasket" ... so now i've very very pissed off. he had it 7 weeks for the gasket and it didnt even fix the problem. He had better do the oil cooler seals for free or a HELLA low price.

sorry for the rant,
Jeff aka Lamah

Quick Reply: Starting/idle problem + anitfreeze prob.