Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof problems...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:36 AM
ga1990
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunroof problems...help!

Ok...so i had my sunroof off last night, and i go to put it on this morning...i set it in there and then hit my sunroof switch to make the things go up and latch onto the roof...they come up about an inch (they were in the all the way down, take your sunroof off position) and they stop...they didn't go into the roof, they just pushed it up a little..maybe i didn't have the roof pushed down far enough? Well anyways they won't go back down when you put the key in the first position and when you put it in the run position the motor moves when you press "up" but the little things don't move and nothing happens when you press "down" Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2001, 10:44 AM
TomH
Pro

Sounds like you have either stripped your plastic gears in the lifting arm area (because they hit the roof, which wasn't all the way down). Or the clutch has loosened, and needs to be re-tightened/torqued.

The clutch and motor are in the back left side behind the carpet and plastic enclosure. By removing the plastic cap back there, you can use your toolset (or a spark-plug socket) to manually crank the roof.

My guess is you've stripped the gears. Happens all the time, and they cost about $7 a piece at a dealer.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:31 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

More on sunroofs- I asked a few days ago how to remove my roof. I did as told, put the ignition switch in postioon 1, and attempted to open the roof. Nothing happened. Well, I did hear a little movement of some type but the arms didn't "release". Is that what they're supposed to do? The roof raises and lowers flawlessly, I just can't remove it. And with this thread it's obvious to me that sunroofs are a continuous PITA!! So what is wrong with my roof and how much hallse/cost to fix it?
Old 06-26-2001, 12:57 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Wow Dan, still no success? Don't make me tell you about my little problems!

I remember when working on my sunroof, I believe I found some limit switches on the sunroof mechanism itself back in the rear quarterpanel, located on the sliding "thing".

Maybe one of these is out of adjustment? I know that there's a ton of switches in this sunroof mess!

Perhaps someone else knows exactly if and where such a "reference/limit" switch would be located in the said rube goldberg contraption? Anyone?

The solution is there somewhere...
Old 06-26-2001, 01:40 PM
TomH
Pro

Go to the "Garage" and read the complete story on how the sunroof operates and where the maintenance areas are. There are three micros, two back on the motor/cam, and one over your head in the middle A-shaped "arm".

In the ignition #1 spot, you shouldn't be trying to raise put the roof down, you should try to "raise" it. The switch works backwards in the #1 spot.

Unless of course its whacked like mine and nothing happens in the #1 spot. To fix mine, I just re-aligned the lifting arms to completely retrack if I lower the roof.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

I simply took mine to Porsche and said "Hans fix this" and $85 later it was professionally fixed.

I love doing stuff on my own, but I had a royal pain with that sunroof and I needed it done ASAP for a drive back to NC.

-Matt
Old 06-26-2001, 02:42 PM
ga1990
4th Gear

where's the "Garage"?
Old 06-26-2001, 03:13 PM
rangelica
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the gears myself in about 2 hours, and $5.00 in parts. Great info at http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com and www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles Read both carefully and go for it!!

Rick
'86 951 w/working sunroof

Quick Reply: Sunroof problems...help!