Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 12:30 AM
Steven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cone filter

I installed a MSDS cone filter on my 1989 944na and really like it. It gives a more throaty sound and I can feel a little more power (may be psychological). I have a question though. The filter comes with no protection like some of the other cone filters do. Some of them have a plastic shield that covers the bottom half and protects it from moisture and road debris. Anyone know where I can get a shield for mine? I know MSDS doesn't have them. I saw one in the recent Panorama magazine made by VTX but it's only for 944s up to 1988 (bummer).
One more question. I know that the more cool air that gets to the filter, the more power you have. Is there an way I can duct air to my filter? It seems that by now someone would have come up with a way to duct cool air from the front end or from underneath the car. The air under the hood gets really hot as you well know so I think this would be great.
If anyone has any info on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Steve- 1989 Porsche 944NA
Old 08-10-2001, 05:48 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
General rule of thumb is that every 10-degrees-F you change the air temp is worth 1% in power.

But I think you only have to worry about underhood temps when you're stopped at a light. As soon as you move, there's enough turbulence that the air you'll be sucking in will most likely be at ambient temperatures.

If you're good with fiberglass, you can make an enclosure and ducting no problem. Start by taping cardboard together, then just lay fiberglass on top.

-danno
Old 08-12-2001, 01:16 AM
Steven
Instructor

Red face

No one knows?
Old 08-12-2001, 03:24 AM
Renntag
Pro

I never had any kind of cover on mine. I had plans of ducting air from up front, creating my own ducts. I havnt had the time. I think the best bet for ultimate gain would be through the hood like the 924 carrera. just the opposite side of the hood (drivers instead of passengers). I am not ready to break up the lines of my car that drastically. This is why I want to draw air from up front.

I havent seen anything available commercially except that 924 Carrera hood scoop.

Quick Reply: cone filter