Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 02:57 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post gas smell

Every morning I get into my '94 968 and can smell gas. There is no leak visable on my garage floor and I dont have any damp carpets. It doesnt matter if I have a full tank or an almost empty tank. A first thought was injectors, but I have no hot start problems that sometimes come with injector problmes. If anything, the car runs a bit rough until it warms up. Also, wouldnt I smell the gas right after I shut off the car if it was the injectors and not only after letting it sit for several hours? Anyway, I was thinking about checking out the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I sometimes hear a hummm from the right rear of the car so maybe this part is a little wacked? Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2001, 03:43 PM
TomH
Pro

If its like a 944, the regulator is up front on the fuel rail. The fuel pump is located in the right rear, which is probably what you are hearing.

Search here for other gas smells. Lot's of talk about the fuel filler vent pipe coming lose resulting in similar symptoms.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:07 PM
Golden
Rennlist Member

I too have a gas smell in my 86' 951. Usually it is strong in the morning after sitting overnigh and goes aay when posiie cabi presure is applied(like when I turn on the fan or AC). Th sell i more intene with negative cabin pressure (like when the sunrood is up or windows are open slightly).

I've asked my mechanic to find and fixit on 3 occassions, but he as not been successful. I told him I know the smell is coming from the area of the gas filler pipe. What I would like to know is how to inspect it for a looseconection or crack. Some nstructions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:42 PM
Renntag
Pro

Vapour containment is tough to search/ diagnose. On later cars it is possible to interrogate the Central control module and look for faults, indicating a leak. Many times these faults are triggered from simply running the engine with the fuel cap off.

It is possible to pressurize the vent hose. if the system is intact it should retain a certain amount of moderate pressure/vacuum.

The conditions you both have described sound like emission system leaks.

Have you looked into technical bulletins for the 968? May help. I dont know what would be available for a '94 though.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:18 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Originally posted by Golden:
<STRONG>I told him I know the smell is coming from the area of the gas filler pipe.</STRONG>
As in where you fill up the gas tank? If so, there is a tube that drains any fill overflow, I believe it just runs out the right wheelwell space in the trunk...might want to check for a leak there.

Quick Reply: gas smell