Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for 944 S2(91): Difference of standard//sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 06:52 AM
Wolf-Dietmar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shocks for 944 S2(91): Difference of standard//sport suspension

Yesterday I' ve bought new front struts for my S2.
Originally I have the sport suspension (M030), but now I've switched to standard Fichtel and Sachs struts.(At least by mistake...,but it's too late now.)
1.Does anyone know whether the standard Fichtel+Sachs struts are gas pressure shocks?
I have noticed that the "axis/shaft" of my old Mo30 shock does come out by itself,when removed from the car.
The new ones stay in the position where they are.Maybe that indicates that these are non gas shocks ?
Further it is funny to compare the performance of the old 100.000 miles shock to the new one.
The old (M030)is hard to push (!) and hard to pull.
(Not to mention the free play of the shock-"axis")
The new (standard) shock is easy to push and little hard to pull.I have measured 8-10 kg at slow speed at PULL.

2.The springs are spec'ed with
23,8 N/mm (coil lenghth removed = 378 mm) for the standard suspension and
28 N/mm (coil lenghth removed = 348 mm) for the M030 suspension.
Sorry I don't know how that corresponds to lbs/inch.
What happens now with the softer shocks together with the pretty stiff springs ?
Where and when do I notice a difference ?
Old 02-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that you are going the wrong way. Most S2 owners, myself included, want to go from the stock struts to the sport struts. (In fact I am doing just that in a few months)

From what I understand, the Sachs struts that were made for the S2 are not compatible with anything else that was put on a 944. I think that even diameter of the springs is different – which means that you can not just swap them out without modifying the spring perches.

If you have the M030 struts with the adjustable spring perches, you can have them rebuilt by Koni. They are rare and valuable so you should save them, sell them or send them to me ;-) - but do not throw them out.

From the S2 Service Supplement WKD 496 021 (as compared to the regular 944 non-sport suspension):
[quote]Front Axle:

The suspension of the 944S2 cars is tighter because of a higher spring rate and harder shock absorbers.

Springs are approximately 10% harder. The total spring diameter was reduced by 15 mm, so that the spring retainers also had to be adapted to the diameter. The approx. 300 gram lighter springs, as compared to the former 944, have a vilet color code.

The stabilizer diameter was increased from 25.5 mm to 26.8 mm. <hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.paragon-products.com/" target="_blank">Paragon Products</a> makes an adjustable spring perch kit that can be fitted to stock Sachs with some modification to the strut housing and these will allow you to run whatever weight springs you want. If you are interested, talk with Jason - he is an expert on 944 suspensions and knows the whys and wherefores of the S2 front struts.

If you have sport shocks on the rear, you may need to adjust them so that they are a little softer, otherwise your suspension may not be balanced and your rear may step out a little earlier than before. At this time I have sport shocks on the rear and stock Sachs on the front, so I set the rear shocks to one turn from the softest.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From another thread, there was posted this link:
<a href="http://www.davidsims.ukgateway.net/944t/suspension.htm" target="_blank">http://www.davidsims.ukgateway.net/944t/suspension.htm</a>

Tons of good information.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolf-Dietmar,

If your shocks do not rebound (push back out) then they are completely gone. They are worth ~$500 a piece new. You can have them rebuilt for ~$150 a piece by koni. This is what you need to have done.

Quick Reply: Shocks for 944 S2(91): Difference of standard//sport suspension