Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't my AC work????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 08:51 AM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Why doesn't my AC work????

All I can tell you is that when I push in the AC switch, the light comes on while I'm holding it in but nothing happens (i.e I can't hear the comp. kick in). When I leave go of the switch, the light goes out and nothing happens. Bad switch??? Bad relay??? Bad comp. is overriding the switch????

I have no clue.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 06-26-2001, 09:18 AM
Casper
Intermediate

Check to see if you have freon in the system by checking for pressure in the ac lines (like bleeding out of a bicycle tire). If you have presure, direct connect the compressor clutch by extending the compressor wire to the positive end of the battery terminal (use a scrap piece of wire). When the ac clutch kicks in the compressure should start turning, if not or you hear a nasty noise, you have a bad ac clutch.If it kicks in and the ac belt starts to yell and burn or your engine cuts out, your compressor is locked. If the compressor kicks in and your ac starts to get cold, you have bad switch. if it kicks in and no noise but not getting cold you may have a bad pressure release valve or clogged drier.

Hope that helps.

Casper '84 944
Old 06-26-2001, 11:13 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

The relay is the latch to the switch. My guess is a bad relay..if it was good and the system bad.. you would hear squealing from the belts as the compressor would be on. and the light on the switch would stay on also...thus the relay staying on...the fact that the light goes out when released means that the relay has not latched.. thus no cooling and no squealing... This could be a fuse or some one has removed the AC.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my AC work????