Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken stereo on 944 S2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 02:56 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post broken stereo on 944 S2?

I'm trying to figure out if my car has a factory stereo. It's a 1991 Porsche 944 S2 with a Blaupunct(sp?)Lexington radio/cassette deck and equalizer. I'm not sure about the speakers. There are 3 1/2 tweeters in the door, 4x6 ones under the rear side window, and two others, I think, below each door behind a grill. I can't figure out how to get at them (factory manuals are in the mail!) so far.

I wouldn't care about all this much, but it's broken. There's a loud buzz coming from the speakers somewhat like a ticking clock, and the music sound is distorted. Once in a while everything sounds great, but lately it never seems to work right.

The way it's set up, the fader must be set all the way rear for any sound to come out of the speakers. Set full front, all you can hear is the noise. The EQ doesn't seem to do be related, as if it's off the problem is the same.

A friend says it sounds like the deck is broken, but it could be a short somewhere. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what speakers exist in the lower door area? Crutchfield and local shops only list four speakers in 944s.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:42 AM
drscott
Track Day

Had similar problem in my 1990 944S2. May your problem is same. Problem was that rain water was getting thru the plastic sheet that seals between the inside door and door lining. Water was causing short/corrosion at the speakers. Fix by removing the door lining and speaker grill(about 10-screws) around the perimeter of the door and a few under the armrest. Only trick is to lift the whole door lining up to remove. Than, use silicone to reseal the plastic sheet to the insdide door shell. Clean up any corosion on the speaker terminals and leave the lining off for a day to dry out.

Haynes manual gives basic idea for removing door lining but a few eatra steps were needed for the S2 model not shown in book!

Dave
dr_scott@optusnet.com.au http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dr_scott/944s2.htm
Old 06-20-2001, 11:17 AM
MadMax
Pro

Bryan,
I am not sure what your problem is, although it does sound like your speakers are bad/corroded as drscott had said.

In order to access your speakers below the door you have to remove 5-6 screws at the bottom of the door panel. Open the door and look closely and you will see the indentions in the carpet. That little bump in the map pocket is where one of them is located and another can be seen at the forward most portion of the map pocket. After you remove all of the screws the map pocket and speaker grill can be slid off of the door panel. Be careful though. There are plastic "nibs/posts" that position the panel in the arm rest. The plastic is old and can break easily (don't ask). Your lower front speakers are located there. The S2 came with a "10" speaker stereo. 3 separates in each front door and a 2-way 4x6 in the rear. Yes, Porsche considers the 2-way, 2 separate speakers. The door speakers are a 3 1/2" mid and a 5 1/4" mid/sub. The tweeter you have already located and is easily accessible under the pull-off speaker grill on the upper door panel. If you need to replace your speakers, Crutchfield finally has speakers to fill these stock locations. You can now actually get a 3 1/2" mid and separate 5 1/4" mid-sub. I am NOT sure if they will fit due to depth. I am hoping to replace mine and find out soon.

Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:59 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Talking

Thanks much for the information, everyone! I'll investigate the door speakers this weekend and hopefully will have a stereo running again soon.

Quick Reply: broken stereo on 944 S2?