Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 944 turbo keeps dying... I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 AM
951blur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 944 turbo keeps dying... I need some help

Hello everyone I just joined the forum. Bought my car last sunday from a guy in Oklahoma City. The car has the lindsey racing 340 whp kit with 4 inch exhaust and the engine is dying when i let it idle or if i press in the clutch before i come to a stop. I live in the Houston area of Texas so there is alot more humidity down here than up in Oklahoma, i dont know if that would throw the air fuel ratio off? The air filter was black so i cleaned it and it seems to have made things worse. The guy i bought it from seems to think i should start looking at the crank postion sensor and the other position sensor next to it. Tell me what you think about that? He said it has always ran fine so it must be something small. The car has a Pro-M MAFtuner that i guess tweaks the fuel??? And the car has an autometer air/fuel guage and it is bouncing between lean and stoich. This is my first Porsche and Turbo car so I am really relying on you guys.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try adjusting your idle first, Clarks garage is the go to place for 944 repairs/adjustments. The tach runs a bit off at low RPMs so you might want to set the idle around 1K RPM.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-08.htm

That Pro_M has a habit of needing to be adjusted for changing environments and there are MUCH better setups now. Look at this post for options on MAFs.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-posting.html
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
951blur
Advanced

What is a MAF? When you say better setups can you be specific? What is the DME? If you can explain what they do. Please be patient I have only worked on cars 2005 or newer
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
951blur
Advanced

the car has 14K miles on it since the engine rebuild and the 340 hp kit was installed. the timing belts and water pump were replaced. I did order a new air filter I think the fuel filter should be changed just because when i had my miata i would change the fuel filter once a year and it would leak black stuff after i took it off. They say the fuel filters last 50K miles but i dont buy that. Oklahoma city is 1230 ft above sea level and Houston is 135 ft above sea level. Could that be a tuning issue? I really am bad with electrical stuff but I am willing to learn if someone wanted to teach me. I am located in the Houston area of Texas if any of you guys are close my cell is 936-520-8594 my name is Ryan
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent, check your Email
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF= mass air flow sensor. It tells the DME how much air is entering the engine so it can inject the right amount of fuel.
DME= Digital motor electronics (I think?). It is basically the brain of your car. It's just another name for ECU/ECM.
Since you have a turbo, you may hear people refer to the KLR. KLR= knock regulating unit. From Clarks-Garage: "The KLR receives signals both directly and from the DME Control Unit to determine how the cycling valve should be controlled. The chips in the KLR have a boost limit which comes preset from the factory. When the actual boost reaches the computers preset limit, the KLR sends a signal to the cycling valve to close which allows exhaust pressure to open the wastegate. If the cycling valve fails, loses power, or a problem occurs in the KLR unit, the cycling valve will fail fully closed. In this mode boost is limited to approximately 1.2 bar. This is essentially the boost at which the force of the exhaust pressure will overcome the wastegate diaphragm spring pressure."

I recommend checking out www.clarks-garage.com. It has TONS of invaluable information that can help you solve almost any problem that you may come across.

Quick Reply: 89 944 turbo keeps dying... I need some help