Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic's advice about droan noise from turbo area in my 951?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 07:37 PM
Vroom
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mechanic's advice about droan noise from turbo area in my 951?

9/8/01 Update: mechanic’s opinion about drone noise coming from turbo area

Hi guys, My mechanic has spent a fair amount of time trying to isolate this noise. We can get the noise on the highway, but not in the shop. He pulled the boot and checked the turbo, says it is fine. His feeling now is instead of spending hours and big money looking for it, he’d rather I drive it a while and hope the noise gets worse so he can find it in the garage, says it’s probably one of the exhaust pipes coming from the turbo...says these pipes are double walled and the inside wall often deteriorates, but says there are several pipes to consider and he doesn’t want to go searching without being sure of where to go.
He disconnected the turbo and tested, and discovered that the car ran without the noise, so it IS related to the turbo, but not the turbo itself. Anyway, we’re getting closer.
Have any of you experienced this kind of drone noise coming from the engine when you are accelerating in 4th and 5th, or even de celerating. The times when the air movement is the strongest in those pipes I imagine?

Any advice? He says I won’t hurt the car by driving it. But he doesn’t want to waste my $.
That I’ll just have to live with the annoyance until it develops more clearly.

I left some of my previous notes about this below.

Ave new owner of 86 951

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Porsche questions 9/6/01

For the list:

1. My mechanic just drove with me for about 15 minutes to get the noise to occur. It did, the droan in front of us, in 4th or 5th gear, but now also in neutral with a little revving. He checked the drivetrain and said there’s nothing wrong there. He thinks it is most probably something to do with the Turbo, something binding up maybe or something with the turbo exhaust. So he wanted to know if I was ready for him to dig deeper. He said it would be about 6 to 7 hours work and that once he got in there, he is sure that he can find the cause of this noise. It is a very obvious annoying droan sound. My brother in law , who sold me the car, also said that he was starting to hear some noise, and thought it was probably the turbo going bad.
I gave the mechanic the go ahead and am anxious to have it fixed.

Can I get your thoughts? Does this sound like it’s the turbo?

If the turbo does need to be replaced, where should we go for parts? This mechanic is a very nice guy, friendlier than any other guys I’ve worked with in the past. He is willing to work with me on parts, if I can find parts more affordably than he can.

Ave
86 951 white on black, .....getting TLC from its’ new owner!

Quick Reply: Mechanic's advice about droan noise from turbo area in my 951?