Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit A Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:09 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hit A Pothole

Now my steering wheel shakes back and forth, and the car pulls a little to the left (I hit on the left side).

I am going to pull the wheel and have it inspected by a wheel shop. Also, I am going to inspect my front suspension pieces.

Is there anything that I should look for specifically? Is there a common mode of failure on our cars?
Old 11-24-2001, 06:39 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, dunno how hard you hit, but likely worst case is wheel shake from a bent rim, and pull from a tie-rod or other alignment problem.

Other le$$er possibilities include shake from knocking balance weights off, & pull to one side from partial deflation of the tire during impact (been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

If the wheel shake is at pretty much all speeds, including slow, the rim is bent.

FWIW (little, probably), I've heard of people recovering $$ damages from the city responsible for the street when an outrageously big pothole ate part of their car. We're supposed to expect the little ones; they're responsible for fixing the big ones before they get that big.

Of course, I've also got a friend who claims his Bug died on impact in a pothole, and got paved over before he could get it moved ....

Jim, with sympathy...
Old 11-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by jim968:
<STRONG>FWIW (little, probably), I've heard of people recovering $$ damages from the city responsible for the street when an outrageously big pothole ate part of their car. We're supposed to expect the little ones; they're responsible for fixing the big ones before they get that big.</STRONG>
I know. I am pretty sure I bent the rim. You can feel it shake at 25MPH. I just hope that I only bent a rim.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:24 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Smile

Yep, the rim is visably bent. But everything else looks peachy.

EDIT- A picture (big).
Old 11-24-2001, 08:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, if that isn't some goofy camera angle, that is really bent bad. No wonder the car shook. I'd now be concerned that the alloy can be straightened without work hardening it. And if the tire can be trusted again.

I've got the ultimate pot hole story. Happened in Costa Rica. Driving along a paved highway and saw a big puddle. Drove through ~ 10 or 15 mph and dropped the front end down about 3 1/2 feet! The rental car didn't run so good after that.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:58 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I have bent rims a lot more than that and still re-used the tyres.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:02 AM
RYAN91S2
Intermediate

I bent two rims on my previous car about three years ago. A week a part on the same road. If anyone has ever had to drive 295 in DC in the spring time they could understand how that could happen. One was soo bad that it wouldn't hold air. I had them repaired at a shop in Maryland, the bad one had to be cut and welded (luckily it was on the inner lip). They both were repaired to like new and I never had a shake from them.
So it looks like that rim should be repairable. If your in the area (DC) I'll get you they name of the shop.

Edit (duh, just saw that you were from Portland)
Old 11-26-2001, 02:59 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

If anyone wants rims I've got the stock 15"x8" teledials from my car. I'm refinishing them, so if you want they could be done up in a custom color (they used to be chrome) Oh yeah, I'll give em with pirelli p500s (assimetricos with about 75% left). I saw the same kind painted glossy white on a lowered white 944 with a "turbo look" kit. Looked pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Hit A Pothole