Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 05:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Exhaust questions...

Hello again,

My stock muffler is getting worn out- actually, the tip has rusted out, and I've removed it, leaving several shards of blackened, torn up metal for a tip. Can the stock tip be welded back on? My mechanic said he didn't think so, as it wasn't the right type of steel(?). I know I'll need a whole new muffler eventually, but if I could get this tip back on w/out spending a lot of $, it would help me out for now. If I do have to buy a new muffler, does anyone have any suggestions? I know that cars like the Supra TT and the RX-7 TT have always seemed to benefit more from extra large pipes like 3 1/2" and 4" diameter than our cars. If I do buy a new exhaust, I'd like to upgrade if possible, but what is the stock diameter piping to begin with, and what seems to work best for the $? I'm also very concerned with the sound- I want my car to be nice and quiet! I don't mind a little throatiness, but I don't want the car to be any louder than stock, and am willing to sacrifice a little bit of HP for it, although not too much... Any recomendations for something that's not too restrictive, yet still keeps the noise level down?
Old 08-30-2001, 09:56 AM
pikey7
Drifting

My mechanic said he didn't think so, as it wasn't the right type of steel?[/qb]
What you need to do is to find a good used muffler end from an AMC Pacer and weld it on!!!!

If it's mild steel, its the same as your stock system, so of course it can be welded!

I had mine welded back on from in front of the hanger. That was 9 months ago. although I'm now replacing it with a 3" Paragon Products unit, the exhaust is still good (but probably full of oil from the leaky valve seal!!)
They also produce a 4" pipe..... for a little extra, but I don't think you can keep your CAT with that. Apparently out of the turbo, you can get a max diameter of 2-3/4" between the bolt spacings, and then the systems flare out to the quoted diameters.

If you want something thats no louder than stock, the buy a factory original. 99% of aftermarket exhausts will change the tone, even if they don't do much in the HP department.

Sorry to be sarcastic at first! Just couldn't resist
Old 08-30-2001, 10:13 AM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Hey Robby, go to Fabspeed.com and call Joe Fabiani They have some really slick products. Happy hunting.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

In re-reading my post, I noticed that my signature didn't contain a "thank you" of any kind, which I thought I had included. Sorry about that, as I do appreciate any helpful suggestions that I can get.

I did kind of assume the factory muffler would be best since I want to keep the noise down. I haven't had much experience w/these cars and aftermarket mufflers, but I'm definately not convinced on the test pipe issue, as I've known people who've used them (951s), and their cars really didn't seem any faster after removing the cats than before, only louder. Maybe removing the cat helps more for cars w/more mods(?)- I'm not sure, but we've had several posts on this subject (a few months before the list changed formats). At any rate, this is part of why I'm asking about aftermarket mufflers, as I wonder how much they would really help. I don't mind the tone changing a little bit, as long as it doesn't get louder, and/or sound like a Honda w/one of those coffee can mufflers...

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions...
Old 08-30-2001, 07:45 PM
C DeVito
Racer

If there is enough metal to weld on the muffler then you can reattach it. I think the mufflers are stainless. Search the Yellow pages for a welding shop who does Stainless steel. The ones I am familiar with would put it back on for $10 - $20 bucks, if that. You do need enough good material for the weld. The "type of steel" comment leads me to think your mechanic doesn't weld stainless.

Good Luck,
CSD
Old 09-02-2001, 09:00 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On a related subject:

Has anyone with a test pipe or gutted catalytic converter, replaced the cat with an aftermarket resonator such as in the included pic. How did it change the exhaust note ?
After I gutted the cat in my own car I found that the exhaust produced quite a bit more resonance - I expect that is due to the fact that removal of the cat internals, changed the internal dimensions of the cat thereby negating the tuned effect of the resonator (The cat has a resonator chamber in addition to the emissions control part - I read that somewhere).

This aftermarket resonator is 16 inches long 3.5" OD and 2.5" inlet/outlet, anyone know where you can get a 3" inlet/outlet ?

Wayne

Old 09-05-2001, 04:14 AM
M@951
Advanced

http://www.speedforceracing.com/

Same as FABSPEED for less $$web page
Old 09-10-2001, 10:53 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Fabspeed Motorsport offers 3.0" T304SS polished catbypass pipes/performance downtubes for all 944Turbos. 2 piece original design with slip joint for optional highflo racecatalytic converter. .12bar more boost increase over 2.5" catbypass pipes with no other modifications! Rear 3.0" final exhaust section available too. You can literally roll a tennis ball from the front of the 944Turbo all the way out the end of the car's tailpipe. Still even with a 3.0" exhaust the 944Turbo is never too loud as all turbo cars are inherently quiet and secondly a quality exhaust does its job without resonnace and vibration....that is why gutting a 944Turbo cat doesnt work as well. Goto Fabspeed Motorsport for all the detailed pictures and information:

web page
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions...