Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm About to Set This ****ing Car on Fire!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where this seal goes? It's almost invisible and super ultra thin. There's one for both balance shafts and the camshaft.

The front engine seal kit I got came with 9 times the amount of seals I expected there to be. I was expecting it to just come with 4 of those big brown orings like the rear main seal. Instead there are like 50 orings for each balance shaft, 500 seals for the camshaft, and surprisingly only 2 for the crank.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...85_KATALOG.pdf - Search for the part number - it's part 23 in the diagram for the camshaft.

Specifically, it's the seal between the spacer and the camshaft.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to update this thread:

My start/stall problem seems to be gone!!! What fixed it? Who knows. I replaced so much **** in the last 6 months and any one of the things could have fixed it. It started on the first try, has ~4-4.5 bar of oil pressure at idle, doesn't smoke like crazy, idles smoothly at exactly 900 RPM, and my timing belt hasn't snapped yet (knock on wood). I am having a problem where if I try to rev it it'll hesitate, rev up, then dip down to 600ish RPM, then go back up to 900. It's probably just a vacuum leak that I'll sort out soon. I did replace my MAF with a beat up old AFM off of a parts car so that could be causing it too. After I take it for a spin around the block a few times to make sure nothing else is wrong I'll put the NA-Tune back on and see if it works.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

The AFM isn't permanent (only bought it for diagnostic purposes), so I don't need it to be in super shape. I hope to install my NA-Tune again tomorrow and see if my car will run. If it goes back to starting and stalling then I'll work on getting the AFM in tip top shape.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to update this thread and post the solution to my problem. The problem was the MAF sensor. Here's the story: Being the moron that I am, I fried the original MAF sensor by hooking it up to the wrong side of the coil (I didn't know any better at the time). Josh was generous enough to send me a replacement and I fried that one as well. After frying 2 sensors I didn't want to ask Josh for a third, so I bought one on ebay. When it came I was super excited to get my car going, so I just popped it in, hooked it up to the correct side of the coil, and turned the key. No dice. Shortly after that I ran into the cross threaded sparkplug problem, so the NA-Tune issue was put on hold.

Once my car was all sorted out I turned my attention back to the NA-Tune. The car still wouldn't run and I figured it might have been because I installed the original chip backwards and fried it. Being the generous man that Josh is, he let me exchange my chip for a fresh one. It still wouldn't run. After exchanging a few emails he informed me that I needed to remove a resistor in the DME and install a jumper wire in its place, so I did. The problem still remained. I had my gasoline and matches ready, but I decided to take one last look at the MAF sensor before burning my car. Lo and behold the part number of the sensor I bought on eBay didn't match the number on the original sensor that came with the kit I bought another sensor from an online auto parts dealer and made sure to confirm the part number before installation. The numbers matched, so I popped it in and it started on the first try! The moral of the story is don't believe the item description when you buy something online. Always check before installing it.

Also, to anyone that's still on the fence about buying the NA-Tune, BUY IT NOW!!!!!! My hesitation, stumbling, shuddering, etc have all been solved by this kit. My car feels like it gained 50 horsepower (I deleted my cat at about the same time) and it's an absolute joy to drive now. Make sure you get it with the 4* cam key.

Tl;dr: New MAF sensor fixed it
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 AM
16valver
Racer

Hahaha quite a saga... Glad you got everything going! Now you've got a fresh *** 944!! I like the turbo nose swap too. Oh and, nice Golf!

Now go drive the F out of it.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 16valver
Hahaha quite a saga... Glad you got everything going! Now you've got a fresh *** 944!!
In the end I'm kind of glad this happened. It gave me the opportunity to find and fix a lot of things that would have come around to bite me in the *** later down the road.

I like the turbo nose swap too
Thanks! I still need a drivers side fender and some paint. Some people like the silver/blue/black mix, but IMO it looks like ***.

nice Golf!
Thanks I guess?

Now go drive the F out of it.
I'm trying to fight the temptation to beat the **** out of it for a while. For now I'm only taking it on short trips to work (to show it off to the ladies ) and stuff like that to make sure it's 100% fixed before I beat on it. Once I'm satisfied it will become my DD for a while so I can replace the clutch and sort out the 100000 other problems I'm having with my VW....

My dad owes me a steak dinner now. He said if I got it back together and it runs he'll take me to the most expensive steak house I can find within a reasonable distance
Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Gawernator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay for setting our 944's on fire... not sure which is worse, paint and body or engine O_o
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
In the end I'm kind of glad this happened. It gave me the opportunity to find and fix a lot of things that would have come around to bite me in the *** later down the road.

Thanks! I still need a drivers side fender and some paint. Some people like the silver/blue/black mix, but IMO it looks like ***.

Thanks I guess?

I'm trying to fight the temptation to beat the **** out of it for a while. For now I'm only taking it on short trips to work (to show it off to the ladies ) and stuff like that to make sure it's 100% fixed before I beat on it. Once I'm satisfied it will become my DD for a while so I can replace the clutch and sort out the 100000 other problems I'm having with my VW....

My dad owes me a steak dinner now. He said if I got it back together and it runs he'll take me to the most expensive steak house I can find within a reasonable distance
Yep I had a similar operation last year over the summer. Shop didn't do some stuff right, I ran out of money and ended up having to tear everything apart and re-do it to my spec. 3 months of slowly accumulating parts and watching the poor thing sit in my driveway until I could get stuff done. Meanwhile I had to drive my parents ****box civic everywhere and hated every minute of it.

+1 it looks like ***, but I still like it. The turbo nose is excellent.

+1 on the ladies (works too well for me hahaha )

+1 on steak
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gawernator
Yay for setting our 944's on fire.
I could have poked holes in the fuel lines. That way it would look like an accident and I could collect insurance money

Originally Posted by 16valver
Yep I had a similar operation last year over the summer. Shop didn't do some stuff right, I ran out of money and ended up having to tear everything apart and re-do it to my spec. 3 months of slowly accumulating parts and watching the poor thing sit in my driveway until I could get stuff done. Meanwhile I had to drive my parents ****box civic everywhere and hated every minute of it.
When my 944 died and the old lady hit my Golf I had to drive my dads 2002 Dakota. It was absolutely awful. I parked as far away as possible to avoid being seen when I got in/out... I'd rather be seen in a POS Civic than a truck.

+1 it looks like ***, but I still like it. The turbo nose is excellent.
Truer words have never been spoken.

+1 on the ladies (works too well for me hahaha )
I took a few for a ride tonight and they loved it when I stepped on the gas

Quick Reply: I'm About to Set This ****ing Car on Fire!!!!!