Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked head or faulty cam cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM
lina944
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked head or faulty cam cover gasket?

Hey all--

I posted about a week ago about a thick coolant/oil mixture happening in my engine, all inside my hoses and AOS as well. Also had oil in my throttle body/intake system.

Since then I have replaced the oil cooler seals (they were really bad) and the AOS seals (also bad). I turned on the car and it starts fine but idles high (around 2000 and seems to keep going higher). The white smoke from the exhaust is barely visible, even while revving. However, there still appears to be a little bit of coolant mixing in the oil even after 3 flushes.

Also, there were clouds of white smoke coming from the headers. I thought it was because I painted the headers and the paint was burning off but soon discovered an oil/coolant mixture leaking from somewhere above the fourth header (closest to the firewall). I've included a couple pictures and video of it happening.

Compression test showed 180 for all four cylinders while engine was cold.Oil pressure showing above 5 but I'm assuming it is the oil pressure sending unit that is faulty.

Please help!

- Lina

Last edited by lina944; 02-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
lina944
Advanced

bump, anyone?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

There is no coolant in the cam tower - only in the head. So the cam box gasket can't be the culprit.

Even though your compression #s are good, it still could be a faulty head gasket. There are four rectangular "oil return" passages next to the water jacket - you might have a head gasket compromise near the rear-most one.

However, that won't account for the
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
lina944
Advanced

Hi Van, thanks for the response.

As an update, I flushed the coolant system again and there is no oil in the coolant, but there is really a little bit of water that came out (didn't put antifreeze, just put water). I'm thinking that the oil/water mixture might be what is left over from before because I haven't ran it for a long period of time yet because it was spewing oil so i just turned it off. As far as it spewing out, is that a possible head gasket problem, or the cam cover gasket?

I will keep you updated with what i find when I am able to keep the car running long enough.

Thanks,

Lina
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The condition of the engine when you bought it supports a guess that the PO did a rotten/sloppy HG replacement.

You said he milled the head .007"
This is not really bad.

The WSM has a diagram showing the MIN/MAX allowable for the head.

Name:  Cylinder head wear max.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  36.6 KB

If you are loosing coolant, do a leak down test.
If you get bubbles in the coolant reservoir- the HG is bad.
The "new" HG may not have been installed correctly per Porsche WSM.

The engine should be at operating temperature.

GL
J_AZ
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
lina944
Advanced

That's what I was assuming--that's it was a bad head gasket job . I will check if there are exhaust fumes today when I get home. As far as oil spewing out though, I'm hesitant to leave the engine running for a good amount of time...any thoughts on why the oil is leaking on top of the fourth header?

Thanks a bunch,
Lina
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lina944
any thoughts on why the oil is leaking on top of the fourth header?
Because there's something failing to hold it in?

Quick Reply: Cracked head or faulty cam cover gasket?