Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone NOT spent $thousands on upkeep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 10:37 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still think you may have a lemon for these reasons and that you're not doing any of your own work.

- rebuilt PS rack- 2 times?? WHY??
- right front a-arm- believable
- timing belt- normal maint
- balance belt- normal maint
- hood shocks- show me any 15yr old car not needing these
- right inner CV joint- probably not greased at correct intervals by the po
- all 4 caliper seals- WHY?? Didn't the po change the brake fluid regularly? It has to be humid in Ottawa.
- front crank seal- normal maint with t belt
- balance shaft seals- normal maint with t belt
- water pump- normal maint with t belt
- left inner CV joint- see above R inner
- front wheel bearings- it is 15yrs old!
- front rotors & pads- pads I believe, rotors? depends
- clutch disk- normal, hope they put in the updated part
- rebuild tranny/ ring & pinion- WHY?? Again, either a poor driver or lack of fluid change
- rear rotors & pads- pads I believe, rotors? depends
- left front a-arm- if you did the right, why not this one at the same time
- oil pressure relief valve- it is a 15 yr old car
- engine mounts- there is a turbo update, with those, you shouldn't have any trouble. It is a 15 yr old car.
- thermo switch- believable

If you think this is excessive, then you have no business with a 15 year old performance sports car of any type. This is minor compared to Brit cars of the same vintage. Ever restore an American muscle car? The list would be even more extensive. Ever try to fix a Jap sports car of the same vintage? Fix the rust first, and then find out how long the list can get. Scroll back through the posts to see what I have done thus far. Most of mine is not even because I had to. I'm doing it to bring my car to near new performance before modifying it. But then again, I'm a bit of a mechanical perfectionist, probably comes from having been a wrench.

Speaking of wrenches, if you insist on keeping this car, buy a good set of tools and learn how to use them. The only way you would be complaining about this list is if you were paying Hans and Fritz to do the work and they have a large beer budget eh? The labor on this list would be prohibitively expensive for the average person. Again, I point to the Brit car guys. If they paid Paddy and Geeves to do thier work, NO one could afford those cars. They don't call Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" for nothing. Ever wonder why the Brits drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators!! Maybe you should stick with supras.

Peace from the land of sunshine
Old 06-24-2001, 12:29 PM
new2944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

As usual, we dance around the point...

That list was 100% accurate (and conservative), perhaps the dealer, as expected, would err on the side of caution and replace things that some would let go (rotors for ex.)

Yup, you're correct, the labour was a big chunk 'o' change, but the parts still added up to over $4k

Really, how many 944 owners are capable of doing more than simple stuff like brake pads and oil changes? An insignificant minority, I'd guess. Your confidence in repair is irrelevant compared to the thousands out there who struggle to understand why things continually go wrong, and then give up in frustration (go to a dealer).

I'd assume that most of us bought these cars to drive them, not to play Mr. Mechanic for most of the summer. Yes, doing your own work is gratifying, but only when it is work you honestly expect, and can plan around. (brakes, clutch, etc.)

Your observation about "jap" cars with respect to rust is correct (same for any domestic as well).

But, to imply that a Celica or Supra of the same vintage, and mileage, would require anywhere near the same investment in time and parts is insane! I owned both and the overall reliability was literally stunning, particularly considering that I expect them to start in -20 degree weather for 3+ months of the year!
Old 06-24-2001, 04:30 PM
David Gunther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cross post from how much for horse power post.
Put a vette engine in it. http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Quick Reply: Has anyone NOT spent $thousands on upkeep?