Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 07:45 PM
aka 951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think dropping the 968 had something to do with price. For some reason Supras, RX-7 TTs, 3000gts and 300zx's were cheaper, much faster and had the same, if not better technology. The 968 Turbo would have probably added significantly to the cost of a 968. Personally, I don't know why they couldn't build the car cheaper if the Japs could.

Erick
Old 06-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Guys,
Your average non-car guy, man/woman-on-the-street thinks that owning a Porsche is a statement about the owner. God only knows why this happened to this marque and why it did not nearly so much effect ANY other car make? But it's true. Personally, I bought my 944 because I happened on a good deal and it was in great shape for a very good price. That it was a Porsche was nice but I already knew there were supposed "Porsche-philes" that felt this wasn't a "real" (whatever the hell that means) Porsche. These snobs that pass themselves off as the true keepers-of-the-faith are elists, pure and simple. Name any other car maker and they have manufactured cars that are derivative or joint ventures, etc. Can you imagine Vette guys sneering at the original "Blue Flame" Vette from the fifties because it had the stovebolt 235 straight six that you could buy on any Chevy passenger car of the time? Of course not. The "911-only" crowd can't stand anyone mentioning that the "original" Porsche was a 356 (for all intents) and it was a VW derivative. And what wrong with that? It was a great car and deserves to be revered as such. The 928 was a great car. The 914 was a VW derivative. Jeez! Friggin Porsche "purists" get the hell over it! Porsche did, does, and probably will always make car models that perhaps, you don't happen to like. NOBODY IS ASKING YOU!! Buy what they produce or don't. It's your choice. I like my car. It's not the fastest sports car but it is well made, sporty, it looks great becasue I keep it clean and shiny and if somebody wants to put up theie nose because my car isn't the "right" model? Screw 'em. We're better off without those kind of "enthusiasts". My, I feel better now!
Old 06-27-2001, 01:21 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, I'm sure in a sense we're all Porsche purists:

I mean do YOU want Porsche to make that SUV? I don't! At least they used to make sports cars only...
Ahmet
Old 06-27-2001, 01:39 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Ahmet,
Honestly? I'm not sure if I care if they make it. What other marque can get by with making only one type of car? Only sports cars? Ferrari? Any other? BMW and Mercedes make SUV's and trucks and wagons. I guess it would be nice to have a company that only made sports cars - however that is defined. But does it really matter if they make a damn good SUV? Again, however defined. I don't know. My separate rant (though it was hard to tell it was separate...sorry!) about 911 vs every other Porsche model is a bigger deal to me. I just flat do not get it and name calling aside, I wish one of the guys that feels this way would explain it. I'd at least like to TRY to understand their point of view.

Quick Reply: 928