Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 03:48 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by over1g:
<STRONG>They should've made the 968 turbo
Ahmet</STRONG>
Like this Turbo RS:

Then there's the plain-jane Turbo S also:

Skip

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Skip ]
Old 06-20-2001, 04:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Dude, I meant like this,

and in something like this

and not like this:

and not with this:

In other words high volume production of the 968 turbos (as in more than 13 copies, and street legal) and 16v would have been nice...
Ahmet
Old 06-22-2001, 11:28 PM
EddiDelux
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Save yourself the trouble and the wait and just get a 928.

they rule
Old 06-23-2001, 12:53 AM
EddiDelux
7th Gear

Thumbs up

For every year the 928 was made (78-95) is was officially the fastest normally aspirated Porsche. Even for the years where the 911 Turbo was quicker, the 928 had the highest top-end speed
Old 06-23-2001, 10:27 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the 928, it's a shame that they stopped producing them. Hopefully they'll make them again instead of an SUV, but marketing drives all so Porsche will probably try to cash in there too. Who would have thought of Lincoln or Cadillac with an SUV model? Strange times we live in guys.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a bad feeling about things on Porsche's behalf. Already committed to an SUV, looking at a revived 928... just when gas prices may be on the verge of shutting down the market for both products. Granted, somebody who can afford to purchase either vehicle shouldn't be worried if it costs 60 bucks, instead of 30, to fill, but people aren't rational.

I think a sports car as capable as the 951, with 27 mpg (loafing) is something great. Here's hoping Porsche hasn't dug its own grave (with help from OPEC).

But we'll see...

Thaddeus
Old 06-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Lars
Instructor

they aren't gonna verge back into the 951 because of its VW/Audi history prejudism, you know, the 924, the ugly, the 944, then the 951.
But, the 928, is supposed to be a true porsche
(although I don't think so because they were looking at a picture of an AMC pacer when they drew it for christ sake)
Old 06-24-2001, 08:30 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Arrow

But, the 928, is supposed to be a true porsche
(although I don't think so because they were looking at a picture of an AMC pacer when they drew it for christ sake)

Dunno Lars this SUV this not stopping Porschr from working with VW again. True the 928 was first and the only "100% CLEAN BOOK PORDUCTION CAR" with ties to no other car unlike the 356,901/911, 914, 924 , and 944. If ever a passion should had for the 100% design and engineering for a marque, one would think that the 928 would have stood out as Porsche greatest accomplishment instead the 928 stood for everything Porsche owners seems to despise.

Front Engine
-Water Cooled
-High HP & Torque
-State of the Art Suspension
-Performance Braking
-Light weight Aluminum body panels
-50/50 weight distribution
-Luxury
-Fuel Economy (because the 928 still gets really good fuel economy if you keep your foot out of the pedal)
-and above all SAFETY

Seems only other car manufacturers (BMW, Mercs, GM (Chevy), Dodge (Viper) can build Flagship cars like that and earn the respect of a huge market. Porsche could only build cars in concert with other manafacturers and earn the respect of the masses. If history is any indicator, only a small segment of the worlds total population would ever purchase or respect a 100% designed, engineered and, manufactured Porsche.

Funny, I also own a current model BMW, and new or old BMWs of any year or make are all loved and regailed highly by BMW drivers none are scorned and BMW owners, unlike Porsche Club members, almost fanatically really bond together support each other around all makes, models, and years of BMW. The same is true in other car clubs (i've noticed) in other clubs like the Corvette clubs, and Mercs club. The only place discussions of - what car is truly the make of a manufacturers marque and where some are scorned and others are loved...take place is only in Porsche clubs where some cars are and other cars are not.

Well I still beleive that Porsche is the greatest manufacturer of "sport cars" in the world but I think that is about to change too becuase Porsche will now be joining the highly competitive and family car or utility vehicle market. What will be said in years to come about these SUV's? I am sure it will be a cropdusting dialogue of "OH that's not a real Porsche,,,Porsche builds Sport and GT cars (thus relieving the 928 of some of its baZtard child of the marque commentary).

Meanwhile the rest of the industry continues to sweep away with award winning performances at world class racing events (in cars like the BMW 3 series V8). Porsche's reputation and dynasty will wane and it will be just another car in a class with minivans and station wagons, a far cry from the total concept the Ferry Porsche had in mind for a daily driver passenger car that could be raced at the track. We too will still be arguing over what are real Porsches and which are not and our cars-anochronisims. Passed up in technology, performance and design by cars that want to be as great as todays and yesterday Porsches of all makes and designs.

The following are pictures of the 928 on the drawing boards in 1971 when it was first being designed... what do you think they had in mind back then...
)click on this link to see more early designs of the 928)

Old 06-24-2001, 09:05 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

OH, I forgot to mention the AMC Pacer was built and designed in 1973-74 trying to put a body around a NSU-Wankel engine in Germany into the 1970 designed AMC Gremlin for 1975 production.

It appears that "desperate and dumpster diving" AMC designers (Richard Teague) and executives stole the AMC Pacer's ugly azzed looks from Porsches 1971-72 trash heap drawing of the Porsche 928.

You know what is really strikinly funny is the AMC Pacer won awards for Innovative and Unique body styling (back then). However, the same year designed AMC Matador (a slighly stretched version of the AMC Pacer) won awards for being simply the UGLIEST car ever to grave highway pavement anywhere!

Just a note in ugly automobile history...

Note the "AMC 75" on the Licence plate below:
Old 06-25-2001, 09:19 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Angry

Who Cares!! If you like your car that's great, if I like my car that's great too. The truth is 99 44/100% of the population doesn't care, and 99 45/100% of the readers on this board don't care.

I read the board to learn about the cars, not to hear people brag about nothing. Porsche stopped making the cars for a reason. Simple economics 101 supply and demand. No demand because the competition was either better, or offered more.

I have a bet with an office mate that my old 944 will cost less to run over 5 years than his new camry. Dude..it's just a car.

It's time people get a life, and stop trying to compensate for inadequacies in other areas by bragging about having the biggest...
Old 06-25-2001, 10:23 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HEY!!....They stole the wheels too, aren't those Design 90s in that picture?

Tom R, Just pay him now and spend the next 5 years enjoying your time behind the wheel ALOT more than he does.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:25 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Cool

Bet you it costs me less to own and drive a 944S2 that it costs him to lease a Camry!!! figure it out $360 a month for 48 months = $17,280 for the camry. $11,500 + tax for the car, clutch, rollers, ac changeover, oil cooler o-rings for the S2(so far in 6k of driving). Less what the S2 will be worth in 4 years with app 100K. Which is cheaper?

Let's not even take into account the fun factor while driving, or the feeling you get when you get the car from the valet parker while every other dufus gets their camry/accord. "mines the gold camry, mines the blue camry vs. mines the porsche". enuf said
Old 06-25-2001, 12:05 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

As far as the Porsche crest goes, the shield in the middle(with the black horse) is the city crest of Stuttgart, and I believe that the larger shield is the family crest(the pointy lines are stag antlers) and all Max Hoffman did was draw a design with the Stuttgart shield overlaying the family shield.
As for the 928--great car, great styling(although it is more aerodynamic going in reverse--true fact) and I would welcome it back.

Eric(thinking the 928 still looks modern)
Old 06-25-2001, 11:43 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talking

LOL

HEY!!....They stole the wheels too, aren't those Design 90s in that picture?
I thought the same thing for a while, although they look closer to invertered "phone dials" to me.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:08 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Today's news on the new 928. Possible delivery as early as 2004 (Click here for news details)

Quick Reply: 928