Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear hatch - rattles and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:51 PM
TimC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face rear hatch - rattles and squeaks

MMMkay - I swear I saw something on this recently, but I sure can't find it now, so apologies if I missed it and many thanks to anyone who feels like re-answering.

That having been said, rear hatch is rattling and squeaking. Doesn't seem to be loose wiper hardware or anything like that. I put silicone spray on the seal around the hatch, which seems to have partially fixed some of the squeaking, but the rattle continues unabated. Both conditions (esp the rattle) are much worse now that hot Phoenix weather has hit.

Any ideas on where to check for the rattle and what to effectively treat the seal with greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Tim C.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:48 AM
dwygrsshpr
Rennlist Member

The solution is extremely simple. The two metal bolts that hold the latch down need to be adjusted. There is a lock-nut that keeps them in place. Loosen and adjust. It takes a couple of tries to get the depth right. Make sure both are the same length. Too deep and it latches but does not release when you depress the switch. Too shallow and it won't latch at all. I periodically adjust mine depending on the season or when the squeak comes back. You said it yourself - hot phoneix sun! All the rubber (and glass and steel) have changed shape a little bit.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:40 AM
White951
Intermediate

I snapped one of the latches off yesterday adjusting mine. was doing some work to get ready for my first drivers ed. Where can I get another latch?

John
86 951

Quick Reply: rear hatch - rattles and squeaks