Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4 (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Post Another Update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4 (with pics!)

Ok kids.. I finally got my camera delivered, and as promised.. an update with pics.

The images are small.. but there is no need for too much detail on them. You can see the progress.

I have not been in the garage for a few weeks, so things are not very clean at the moment with all the leaves and some water from an open garage door.

Most everything is out of the engine bay. It is as clean as possible.. so you can see there is some sanding to be done on the scorched areas of the firewall. I did not clean up too much of the drivers side, so you can now see it did not burn that much.

As soon as the weather gets warm, the engine bay will be painted, then everything goes back together so I can drive it to the paint booth.

I am getting anxious to get the motor back and together. It will be a screamer, and look good too!

Although you cannot see the silver crackle in this photo.. you can see the color layout I will have. It is almost black with a neet texture to it. And the red is close to guards. With the intercooler pipes, MAF inlet, hard coolant lines and vac lines all done up as well, and every external bolt head coated red, it should look sweet.

This is my kitchen. It has become my garage. Fun Huh? Love storing all this in my dining area.. but some landlords are ********.. as we all know.

And finally... here is the shot of my climate control with White LED's installed. You can see that the color is much brighter. This picture does not do it justice. When the gauge cluster is done, I should have some before and after photos for you to compare to. Since I did not have the camera, no before on the climate control.

I am still working on my web site.. slowly. I have a bunch of images, all of them will be full size since I have the room on my server, the whole story on the car, tips and tricks I have found along the way, some of the procedures that I found better than the manual, and of course... vids of the car when it is done. I will let you know when I get it in some working order. I am having a hell of a time with flash menu systems and a tell target command for a frameset. Blah blah....

Later!
Old 02-20-2002, 09:00 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything should be done in Flash!
Old 02-20-2002, 09:08 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perry, in the second pic from the top...
Is that a lift you have holding the car up or what is it?

Im looking at the big red metal thing (no, not the car )
Old 02-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

No.. it is on 3 sets of jack stands.

That is my engine stand (with nothing in it )
Old 02-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Perry,

Can you please tell me the steps you took to use LEDS behind the dash? Did you use them in the instrument cluster as well?

Thanks alot,
Matt
Old 02-20-2002, 11:22 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will put the LED's in every light on the dash.

The climate control is no easy task. It would e very easy to totally screw it up. Having said that, if you can use a soldering iron well, have a lot of patience, it can be done well. I will post the steps on my site with photos of an old unit I have. It will be a little while before that is up.. but it will be there.

I had a long thread with most of the process on here a while back.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=002825" target="_blank">LED Topic</a>

This has a bunch of info.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:21 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Way to go perry. What kind of springs are those on your struts? (please dont say stock )
Old 02-21-2002, 06:23 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lets take a vote:

I think Perry gets the hardcore award for last year and will probably get it for this year too.

Thanks for all of the great info Perry and the updates. The first time I came on the board I remember reading about some guys third rebuild that was right after his second!!! I thought, why did I buy this car???

Perry - 4
Jon - 1

Hopefully I won't catch you. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not.. they are the stock blue dot springs (180lb rate right?). With the M030 sways and the Konis.. it has a very streetable ride, yet sticks the corners very very well. You must remember that this is (or was) my daily driver, and I plan to have it that way again!

Man.. that second rebuild was a long time ago.. but I am not the only one who should get the hard core award. The bad luck award... yea.. that baby is mine!

If anyone needs a pic of a part.. now is the time to ask for it since I have everything apart. I know there have been requests for them in the past... but I did not have a camera then. When it all gets back together, I am not going to pull my oil pump to take a pic for someone!

Thanks again to everyone who has helped, and all who just read about my endeavor.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:22 PM
bs
Pro

[quote] Everything should be done in Flash! <hr></blockquote>

ok this is off-topic.

i hate flash. there is a reason that most people think that you need a gigahertz computer to look at web pages and do word processing, and that reason is that people have come to accept stupid crap like flash animated menus where a text hyperlink would suffice and animated, talking, real time rendered help "characters" where a hypertext manual would suffice.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well.. that is just BS!

I disagree. A good flash menu system is no bigger than a good picture. If you have it in a frameset, you load it once.

I personally like a clean web site that has a little action to it.

Quick Reply: Another Update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4 (with pics!)