Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about quoted labor time/repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about quoted labor time/repair

I need to have a power steering hose replaced. It's too cold so I thought I'd check with a shop. They quoted two hours to replace the pump to the rack hose. It only has two bolts...the one to the rack is kind of hard to get at..but on a lift? I figured 1 hour tops....

Are they trying to jack me?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they quoted you a maximum time possible just in case one of the bolts is seized but if everything goes smoothly yeah 1 hour is enough . Some honest shops do that so they won't have to surprise you with a higher bill in case something doesn't go according to plan. If that is the case with this shop and everything does go smoothly they shouldn't charge you more than it really took ( <1hour ).
See if you can find out what was the quote based on.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

An hour a bolt seems a little excessive...they quoted me 3 1/2 hours for both motor mounts a while back. That quote I understand...but a simple r+r hose shouldn't take an experienced Porsche mechanic that long.

I think I could do it, on a lift, in less than two hours...and I've never done it before.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... theoretically, they should have been quoting a time from a repair manual.. Like AllData or something like that. They shouldn't just be estimating how long they think it will take. The only case in which that doesn't necessarily hold true is if you can find a shop where the mechanics are paid salary instead of flat-rate - and that is rare.

That said, those lines are a royal PITA to remove and replace. And, if you haven't updated to the hex-head banjo bolts on the body of the rack, it can get ugly. The original Allen key bolts just love to strip. So, I'd honestly say that even on a lift that could pretty easily be a 2+ hr job.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think that is out of line by far. Some guys can knock it out faster, but the average tech probably isn't far off that time from start to finish. Put the car on the rack, drain the fluid, partially remove the rack to get that rear connection off, replace hose, install rack back in place, fill fluid, etc. That connection of the back of the rack is incredibly hard to get to. I always pull the 4 mounting bolts for the rack out and shove the rack forward enough to get a tool in there. I've also seen a few stripped out and took even longer to get them out.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Thanks Doc.....I just wanted to confirm. $325 to replace a two bolt hose..(counting the part) got to love vintage Porsche ownership.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Thanks Doc.....I just wanted to confirm. $325 to replace a two bolt hose..(counting the part) got to love vintage Porsche ownership.
If your car still looks as beautiful as your avatar... Nearly any cost is worth it.
Amazing that a 30-year old design still looks better than ANY modern front-engined 2+2 IMHO. Not even to speak of the unmatched driving dynamics.
Let us know when they finish the rack work.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Question about quoted labor time/repair