Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a turbo-timer necessary?? which boost controller is good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 03:48 AM
bbq
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is a turbo-timer necessary?? which boost controller is good?

hey, guys, thanx for all the comment to help me to solve the problem I got after I installed chips. It turns out to be a bed throttle position sensor.
I have a few questions...as for turbo cars, many people said that a turbo timer would help to cool down the car after hard-drive and no need to sit in the car and wait for couples of minutes...is that true...and which one/brand is good? and I heard that boost controller is also a good idea after chipped the car..which one/brand is good?? Thanx a lot!

BBQ
Old 08-18-2001, 01:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a 951, a turbo timer is not necessary. That is if your turbo water pump still works.

The whole idea is to prevent the oil coking (gettng cooked) on the turbo shaft bearings from heat soak after the engine is shut down. The auxiliary 951 turbo water pump keeps pumping water through the turbo for ~ 30 seconds after shut down. Longer if the temperature is way up there, though I'm not too knowledgable on how that thermostat works.

If you are itching to do something I guess you could increase the basic pump run time to a minute or two but you would have to know how to put a new timer in the pump relay. At least that is where I think the timer is.

In any event, the existing system is much better than some gizmo that keeps your car running a couple minutes after you walk away.

Quick Reply: Is a turbo-timer necessary?? which boost controller is good?