Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air flow in cabin of 951??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 03:02 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Air flow in cabin of 951??

The hot weather has brought my attention to another problem (???) on my 1986 951.

When the cabin fan is on full blast its loud, but works. If I crack a window or sunroof the air volume dramatically increases and the wind noise decreases.

First Question: Is this normal??

I would suspect that a 1986 car of this design would have some sort of flow thru ventilation. I notice vent grates in the door and door jamb, but nothing coming thru the door panel. I'm a little suspicious that a previous owner may have covered something up during door speaker installation(?)

Second Question: Should there be some sort of vents in the door or somewhere?

Thanks! Signed, Hot in Philly
Old 08-08-2001, 04:13 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,
first question: Do you have the re-circ. air switch engaged when this occurs? If so, and the fan were running on "high" and you opened a window/roof, that would allow much more air into the "closed" air re-circ. circuit, which would result in more air being fed through your car and the vents--sound feasable?

second question: There should not be any vents coming through the door panels on your 951. I was never too impressed with this cars' vent system. Mine always seems to emit warm air out of the two outermost vents unless the ac is on full-bore.

Eric(also in the Keystone state)
Old 08-09-2001, 03:31 AM
Seattle944t
Advanced

The cabin is fairly well sealed, so the HVAC fan has to work pretty hard to pump air into the cabin. So opening a window reduces the back pressure (so to speak) of the cabin. So the same RPM's on the fan are now moving a much greater volume of air, with less resistance.

So, Yes, this is normal

But with A/C on, and re-circ on it should be downright chilly. May want to get your freon level checked out.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:00 AM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Talking

Eric and Seattle,
Thanks for the replies. I was not using Recirc, but expected the cabin would have "flow thru". Oh well....at least its not broke.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2001, 06:41 PM
Black_951
Instructor

I have been playing with the recirculate button this week and am not hearing anything happen when I turn it on or off. Should the air flow change somewhat? Or should there at least be some sort of sign that recirculate has engaged?

If so, I am not getting any of this. The light does come on when I push the button, so whats happening?

Quick Reply: Air flow in cabin of 951??