Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I buy.......For tail lights...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 08:22 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where can I buy.......For tail lights...???

There's a kit available, somewhere, for the 944 series, that allows one to add a new socket and bulb (1 extra per side of car) to the tail lights, thereby making use of the extra, blank reflector section. Someone mentioned it to me in an e-mail recently, and, I've seen them for sale before, but I can't remember where. Anyone know?

Does anyone have any input on them, and/or, is there anything I should know before trying to do this? I've never seen them installed, but it sounds to me like it would look pretty good(?).

Also, does anyone know if I can add some intensity to my third brake light? Add a higher wattage bulb maybe, or would that be a bad idea? I need to install some new adhesive, as mine is starting to come loose in the middle, and I'm definately going to put in a new bulb (at the very least) when I do it. What type of adhesive should I use, and where should I get it?

Any input would be apreicated...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-18-2001, 09:40 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try E-bay Automotive. Do a search for "Porsche 944"

I have seen them there before.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:36 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the kits you are looking for are (or were) in the Performance Products catalog. On the same page they listed adapters for high output taillight bulbs. I had an idea a while back about using half a kit and 1 adapter and bulb to make a rear foglight, never got around to it though.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:15 PM
Gord
Advanced

Robby,

I've done this conversion already and it really easy, take only 30 minutes for both lights. It's a definite improvement from the original setup. I don't know why the factory didn't shipped the cars outs without them, the opening is already there. It doubles your back end visibility at night especially if you're worried about getting rear-ended.

Originally I had replaced the left rear lens due to a crack and obtain the assembly through E-bay. All I really need was the lens portion and had the wiring and back plate left over. Took the extra wires and housing plugs, cut and spliced the wire and install the bulb.

Gord '88 944S
Old 11-19-2001, 02:01 PM
rangelica
Advanced

I agree with Gord. I bought the kit from Performance and it's great. If you want to save a few dollars, You can just buy two bulb sockets from the parts store and make the kit yourself. A few folks in the Chicago PCA club did that and it's cheaper then the kit, which is just two bulbs and two sockets.

Rick

'86 951
Old 11-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am completely useless when it comes to electrical stuff- are the wires alreadly there? Do I use the same wires that feed current to the other tail light bulbs? How doI connect the socket to the wire?

This is the reason why I had originally planned to buy the kit, as I thought it might make it simpler. But, I can't find it in the Performance Products catalog- I've looked all through their latest one, and, the one before it...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-19-2001, 05:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Robby, you want to buy the replacement plastic bulb holder inserts - a screw notch-in deal. they are cheap, made by hella, available at many places. Then you just tap the light into the regular constant on rear tail lights.

That is all Performance products is going to sell you. As long as you are putting in 5 watt or so bulbs you don't need to beef up wiring. get some of those LED trucking bulbs and you will never have to replace, probably don't need a socket, and they draw next to nothing current.

Quick Reply: Where can I buy.......For tail lights...???