Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misaligned Shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001 | 03:08 AM
Sajid
Banned

Post Misaligned Shifter??

I installed the tranny in my car about a month ago. And in the process i had to remove the shifter so i could pull the bar that goes from the shifter to the actual trans so i could install the trans. Well as simple as taht sounds, ive had nothing but trouble since then. The tranny is fine, but that stupid retaining pin fell down in that foamy stuff and so i bought a replacement from my local hardware store. But there was too much play in the shifter. (it would jiggle right to left too much. THis was because the rod that slides onto the bar wasnt tight. So i added a couple washers to tighten it. Its still not completely tight but its better.

Also, i tried to readjust the shifter thats on the tranny. I read in the manual and on this forum that this cures the excessive play. Well with all that said and done, nearly every time i shift from first to second, i can feel the gears spinning in my hand (vibration coming up the bar from the trans), like im rubbing against gears or hitting them or something. So i have to play wiht it a little to get it into second smoothly. I hope that makes sense. THe same goes for third gear, but not as bad. So whats my problem? Is this a bad syncro or something. Or am i just misaligned so the shifter isnt shifting into the proper place?

please help...
Old 11-18-2001 | 03:41 AM
sm
Drifting

My question is somewhat related to Sajid's...

When I replaced the ball-cup bushing that is at the base of the shifter, I noticed that the metal plate that holds down the ball-cup bushing can be slid forward or backwards about 1/2 inch. How would adjusting it towards the front affect shifting versus moving it towards the rear? I know the angle of the connecting rod (the rod that goes to the tranny) changes, but would like to know how else it affects shifting.

Thanks in advance,

sm

Quick Reply: Misaligned Shifter??