Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I repaired my DME

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through this some years back, got replacement part for a few bucks from an electronic supply house in Minnesota. The thing is silver, about the size and shape of 3 stacked quarters, and fits on a bracket 90 degrees to the motherboard. That's reportedly the ignition trigger thingy, reportedly the common failure point, along with solder joints with hairline cracks. I soldered it in, and carefully re-flowed the solder joints in the boards while I was at it. $3 soldering pen from Harbor Freight works just fine. Anyhow, also used electronic contact cleaner and lithium grease from WalMart, about $3 per can, which should last forever. She fired right up on the first crank.

I also got a spare DME, and keep it along with fuel relay in the glove box.

BTW, while we're on the topic of DMEs, mine would not work one time after I put in an aftermarket chip. The notch on the end of the chip was facing the wrong direction. Anyhow, take a photo of the board when you open the unit, before you remove the chip or screw up anything else. So you can be sure which way it goes in. And, some chips have their end notch facing one direction, other chips go in the opposite direction. None work when in backwards....

Quick Reply: I repaired my DME