Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic boost controllers - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 05:48 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Electronic boost controllers - Good or Bad?

I'm looking into an electronic boost controller for my 951. I'm getting an engine rebuild, probably to 2.8 litres, with a k27/8 turbo and an aftermarket Mass Air Flow system. I'mn considering either a Greddy Profec A or HKS EVC IV boost controller and wanted to get the lists opinion on whether they are worth it. I am primarily concerned about the interaction the boost controller has with the wastegate and how it would affect the stock ECU's ability to safely shut things down. If I go to an electronic boost controller do I eliminate the safety features built into the KLR?
Old 11-17-2001, 10:11 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You HAVE to defeat the over-boost protection in the KLR anyway. It's set for 12psi and there's no way to increase boost without getting rid of it. As for the numerous ways to increase boost, banjo-bolt, wastegate-shim, manual/electronic controller, I vote for the electronic one.

First because they use feedback control and can sense the rate-of-change of the boost curve and dial in the proper amount of wastegate control for constant boost.

Manual-controllers always ends up bleeding boost off at the top, and they cause differing boost levels in different gears. I really like the Apexi AVC-R unit for its data-logging and display features. With an electronic controller, you'll find that the stock wastegate is sufficient to maintain boost to redline as well.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:24 AM
lou951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danno, how do you defeat the over-boost protection in the KLR. Also how is the Apex-i hooked up to the stock wastegate. I was considering a new dual port waste gate.

Quick Reply: Electronic boost controllers - Good or Bad?