Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Power Door Locks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 04:18 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Post Install Power Door Locks???

Hi:

I took a look at the switches in front of my shifter and noticed that even though I don't have the power door lock option, there's a factory wire that seems to be a receptor for the door lock switch. This receptor is hidden under the console and is only the bottom half of the plug. So far, I have the following switches on the console:

Sunroof
Mirror
Rear Wiper

From the pics I've seen of other cars, it seems the next one to the right of these three is the power door lock switch. Can I buy the spare parts - actuators, brain, switch, etc - to install the power lock system in my car? It's starting to be a pain having to reach back and unlock the door using the barrel. But I still love the car

Thanks in advance.

sm
Old 11-17-2001, 02:32 PM
daly944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look in the performance products catalog. I got their power door lock set and wired it to my alarm system so I have keyless entry, its real nice. Email me with any questions daly944@HOTMAIL.COM
Old 11-17-2001, 02:46 PM
Andrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the factory parts in my car. you will need to replace the wiring harnesses for the two doors. Also, you will need to find the some door handles that have the micro switch in it. I just found some that were not any good and pulled the little gear and pin that they use. (not too hard) i believe the whole project cost me about $120.

-andrew
Old 11-17-2001, 06:41 PM
sm
Drifting

hey guys...

I definitely would like some details. Right now, I only have the factory alarm that is activated/de-activated by the keyhole next to the driver's door lock keyhole. And I don't even have the key for that. I'm going to check with some locksmiths to see if they can help me out. I'm wondering if I should get a system that can be integrated with that alarm system or if I should just bypass it completely with a keyless entry/alarm system. Is there a way to make that manual alarm system compatible with a remote alarm system? Probably will take quite some rewiring huh?

Thanks for you help...

sm
Old 11-20-2001, 02:45 AM
sm
Drifting

Anymore ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2001, 03:08 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, does this factory alarm also unlock both doors? Doubt it or you wouldn't be wondering. You could pull things apart and see what the alarm key slot does without a locksmith.

So assuming it is a low class alarm, you have to install lock actuators and assorted bits around the car. Which given your level of wonderment, you probably don't want to take on yourself. So dig up a bunch of cash and get some guy to hack your electrical system and body to install an aftermarket alarm system. Better chose a good place or this will come back to haunt you in a few years as the poor install goes to crap. I have yet to see a good install.

Quick Reply: Install Power Door Locks???