Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whiplash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:20 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post whiplash

Hello all,

I have had my car for a day now since It went to the shop. I have a severe muscle pain in my neck from the acceleration, and the muscles in my face hurt due to the same.

I haven't had a ticker with a tenth hand but it feels like I'm pulling 60mph in under 6 seconds, No flames please, but it FEELS closer to 5. I can't say for sure either way. All I know is that that these motors pulled 5.9 - 6.8 depending on your literature and I'm under weight by a fair touch. I upgraded from 116 to 196 at the rear wheels with a gain of 65ftlbs from 123 previously. I think I can get that all even higher by routing my K&N to breath from a cooler location. As she sits, she draws from behind the radiator and the hood latch. Kinda warm there I'll bet, thats gotta cost a horse or two. Time to sleep, gee it's cold in the Garage this morning...
Old 11-16-2001, 10:33 AM
doyle
Racer

Hey Roberto,
It's great to see you so excited about your new conversion. Good luck with it.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:40 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
What did you do?
Old 11-16-2001, 02:00 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Tim, Roberto installed a 968 engine in his 944 NA.

Now, just think what it would feel like with another 100hp from a supercharger!
Old 11-16-2001, 05:20 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

We want pictures!!!
Old 11-16-2001, 06:24 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Holy cow I'm envious.

Did someone else (a shop) do it or did you do it? If a shop did it, how much did it set you back?

-Matt
Old 11-16-2001, 07:14 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Technodyne did the work. I wish I could have done the work but I don't have the tools, lift, time, patience, or necesary skill yet. I would post picks but I don't have a URL to give when I click the "image" button. Someone could tell me another way to post pics, Or I could E-mail some and they could post them. As for cost, It set me back but total cost; 944 purchase and 968 parts was not as much as many of the 968s I've seen in good condition. I did everything by the way. The only parts I can think of that arent 968 are the vin and the body. If anyone else does this PLEASE make sure you do the breaks. My next step is some really wide 17's and big reds. The biggest cost was the labor which accounts for ALLOT of money, and I missed out on half the fun there. HALF the fun? ok maybee a quarter, or an 8th... I was driving to work the other night and I pulled up next to one of my coworkers who was supprised to see me driving again. He was in his truck and he reved at the light. I usually don't race, but this guy is sorta a clown and I didn't even have time to think about the resulting speeding ticket/jail time, etc I could have gotten. My right foot went down, left came up and I rapped it to the rev limiter in first before I knew what I was doing, tires smoking uncontrollably, and then I just started shifting and I "accidentally" made my way to 135. She was still pulling hard too, but I backed out when I saw it and tried to get it down to reasonable speeds. It didn't feel that fast, but when I saw that needle my heart jumped into my throat and it felt really fast all of a sudden. I need some track time and DE or I'm gonna end up like James Dean did in his porsche.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:27 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

When I first got it back I posted that I wanted to rap it out in sixth, The excitment & exhaust fumes due to missing hatch must have gotten to me. The hatch got put back on after the initial drive home, and now I know there's now way in H*** I'm ever gonna drive that fast on anything other than a track, WITH a rollbar and a five point. 135 scared me. What would 6700rpms against .77 do?
Old 11-16-2001, 07:56 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can Email them to me [see my sig] and I'll post them.. or just click the "upload photo" at the top of this web page.

BTW, James Dean was an experienced racer, and, on his way to the track when he died. Just a thought...
Old 11-16-2001, 08:45 PM
Peter L
Instructor

Roberto,
I am very envious of you too, that is until mine is done. I can't wait, I'm jonesin' to shift that 6 speed gear box up to speeds not even drempt of with my 2.5. I just got the last of the parts i needed the other day; 6 speed tranny and accesories (everything from the flywheel to the axles). I needed all that because i bought a wrecked 92 968 w/a tip. tranny for my swap and dont want to use the tip. in my 944. I am also swapping all the 968 suspension parts over but am going to use Leda C/O's and M030 sways. I'd say when all is said and done i will have close to $11k into the car which includes the initial 944 purchase price but doesn't include some other stuff i plan on doing down the line like Cobra race seats, S4 brakes, a roll cage and possibley a supercharger or turbo. Of course i had to lay out a lot more than that but i am slowly making it back with all the 968 parts and 944 parts i have left over. The $11k could be cut down a lot by someone setting out from the get go to do this kind of swap by buying a 944 with a bad motor for much less than i payed for mine and finding a wrecked 968 w/a 6 speed already in it. But i did not have any intentions of doing this swap when i bought my car and actually didn't even know it was possible. I drove my car for 2 trouble free years and then it was time for some major maintenence like it needed a clutch, resealed motor, tranny noises, front end work and some suspension woes. So i figured the cost of the conversion would not be much more than all the new parts i needed and the payback would be much greater, so here i am now with a shop full of parts waiting to be assembled. Anyway have fun with your new found torque and HP and like you said, save it for the track. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2001, 08:46 PM
Peter L
Instructor

Oh yeah, you gotta get them pic's up
Upload Photo

Quick Reply: whiplash