Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you choose a 944 instead of another brand/model"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 09:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Thumbs up Why did you choose a 944 instead of another brand/model"

Why did you buy a 924/922/968?

I bought mine because I wanted an inexpensive (under 10G) sports car I could use year round.

In making my decision the following factors came into play:

A)I live by the ocean, the air is salty and the car will stay outside.

B) The car will be left at the station every day.

C) I don't want to be married to the car working on it every weekend/spare minute.

D) I want performance that's better than the old MG's & Triumphs, along with creature comforts like heat & AC on demand.

E)I want a useable trunk (can't fit a cooler in the RX Convert's trunk).

F) I want the most car for my money.

ABS and two airbags helped sway the decision when I saw the car I ultimatly bought.

What about you? Why did you choose a 944 over say a ZX, RX, Supra or whatever?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:58 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wanted a 1992 Acura Integra GS-R. But I couldn't afford it. Then a friend of mine got a 1981 924 and let me drive it. Since then, I have been hooked.

So, to reiterate, I purchased my 944 because it cost less than a 1992 Acura Integra GS-R.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:06 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

I got my car because I caught the Porsche bug @ 8yrs of age thanks to my dad's 2 911s. The character, legacy and exclusivety offered by Porsche is unparalleled, what kind of a rice rocket can you find with the same aura and history of Porsche? When gunning your Porsche, dont you feel the symbolic energy? Say you boot around in a Prelude, it lacks the German character of precision, all you can see are a bunch of economy car engineers striving to meet some manager's envisionment of what the public wants. That is the general problem with Japanese cars. Would you rather have a Benz or a mechanically identical Lexus? Porsches are exactly that; PORSCHES, they have reached a level of cultural symbolism. Show me a toyota, or a honda with that level of personification and character. There are many cars out there that perform just as well as Porsches, but Porsche buyers have the luxury of looking past the numbers, cause they are not the only positive aspects of the marque.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:39 PM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wanted to become a better driver. I learned that by joining the PCA I could easily get track time and instruction, COOL! Besides I love the way German cars function, they are awesome, so much thought goes into making them drive great. Then the performace for the dollar is hard to beat when you look at the turbo. Certainly being a Porsche owner is a plus, there is no substitute.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Brian Legere
5th Gear

I recently tried many newer expensive sport sedans(Bmw,Audi,etc.)When I drove an 1986 944 for the first time I was hooked.For a third of the price I have a true sports car with the best steering/handling I have encounterd in a car thus far.I also love The seats and design of the cokpit.
I want to drive when I am in it.It is definately a drivers's car.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:31 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I wanted a good sports car that was balanced: power, handling, comfortable.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I wanted a cool car that will help me pick up chicks and I read somewheres that a Porshe will do this because it is an expensive-looking cool car and I read somewheres chick dig Porshes and I really wanted a Camero Stuper Sport but it melted when I left it out in the sun because it was plastic.

Old 11-15-2001, 11:45 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought porsche's were nice cars, but it wasn't until a friend of mine let me drive his 951 that I was sold. Driving that car for the first time holds so much in common with sex. I had no idea what I was missing....

Brings up another interesting point... These cars share so much in common with women its frightening. Fun to ride/drive, take all your money, etc. .....
Old 11-16-2001, 12:12 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Tom,

Here's the Readers Digest version...

I always loved Porsches. Being 42 years old, I recall vividly when the 944 was introduced shortly after I graduated from college. I was quite familiar with '60's through '80's models and the 944's styling was stellar and to me, stunning. Plus, the preformance was formidable by early 80's standards. It's near immediate reputation for superb,neutral handling was only the beginning of what would be a series of engine, brakes, suspension, safety, and amenities improvements. Lastly, growing up in Buffalo, Porsches were (and still are) few and far between. This made the marque even more special.

Fast forward to this time last year. The itch to get a Porsche turns into a bonifide hunt. The short list initially comes down either a 944, possibly a 928, and maybe even a 911. In short, the 928 scares me away due to the potential for costly parts and labor. The 911's reputation for requiring very good driving skills in the curves under power, especially when wet, concerns me. So it came down to a 944 or 968. And the performance for the amount I was willing to pay further narrowed it down to a 944 Turbo, 944 S2, or a 968. The rest is now history.

For me, the combination of performance, styling, and price is very strong for the 944 models in particular.

Mike
(sadly getting ready to put his 944 in hibernation for the winter)
Old 11-16-2001, 02:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, to reiterate, I purchased my 944 because it cost less than a 1992 Acura Integra GS-R.
In my case, I wanted a SupraTT. But went with a 951 because it had 90% of the Supra's performance at 25% of the price! Yeah baiby!
I wanted a cool car that will help me pick up chicks and I read somewheres that a Porshe will do this because it is an expensive-looking cool car and I read somewheres chick dig Porshes
Heard that too and it was neat in the beginning to see their eyes widen and they get that doggy-dinner-bowl look. But it's been attracting all the wrong kinda chics and that gets old quickly.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:46 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I owned a '94 Mitsubishi 3000GT. It was a great car. Everyone thinks they are slow because they have a rep of being really heavy. Well my car weighed about 3300lbs, had a 225hp V-6 and was fun to drive. I sold it because my wife was still in school full time and the payments sucked. Well 2 days before my car sold I found my 944. It was sitting in the base auto hobby shop (this is where you can go on base and work on your car, use tools and a lift for about $5 an hour!) It had just been detailed and looked perfect. I still remember staring at it thinking how nice it looked with that gleaming red paint and tan interior. I don't remember why I was there in the first place but some guy saw me checking it out and said "hey, it's for sale you know" He said the guy that owns it just got a Boxster and is selling it for $3600, i was sold, test drove it and bought it two days later. I am so glad I sold that 3000GT. It was a fun car but nothing compared to the 944. I have now owned my car for 8 months and have enjoyed every minute. Why is it that I love this 18 year old 3600 dollar car so much? PORSCHE
Old 11-16-2001, 07:25 AM
Alex H
AutoX

Talking

My first car 16 years ago was a used 1979 924 (bad condition, but who cares when you were 18 yrs old and need a car to impress your girfriend?? -- who now is my wife )

Today my wife and I have a Boxster S, but we also just bought a 1987 951 to capture the memory of our first car.

- Alex. http://www.geocities.com/axhoaxho2/951
Old 11-16-2001, 07:27 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Talking

1) Cos it's first and foremnost a Porsche

2) Satus with owning a Porsche, some ppl don't see that and maybe in the U.S it's not but in the U.K there is a certain ammount of Status wiv owning a Porsche

3) It's a chick puller

4) It's a head turner

5) it's a genuine sports car

6) and no It doesnt make me a better person with it or boost any self esteem problems, before yall ask.

7) IT's got the badge

8) It's the best convertible on the market, (depite being a 90's car) which has style, grace and a isht load of fineese

NO other car looks like it, feels like it is or drives like it does.

And until I get my 308, it's the best that I can afford at the moment

Word !

Adrian Jaye

944 91 S2 Red Cab
(sweet little 16)
Old 11-16-2001, 08:36 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1: I can work on it myself. This was the primary focus for my search for a weekend car.

#2: Its fast and had (has) the reputation for being one of the best handling cars in the world.

#3: It has ABS, A/C, a defroster, and Air Bags.

#4: It has lots of space under the hatch, which makes it particle.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:24 AM
ModusPonens
Intermediate

I always wanted a 911 every since I can remember. One day while visiting my mechanic I noticed a 944 sitting way off in the corner of his lot. I asked him about it and he said he was fixing it up to sell it and would I be interested. I thought "It's not a 911 but at least it's a Porsche" so I bought it from him (without even taking it for a test drive). After I got the car I loved it! Now I'm glad I didn't get a 911 first because I probably would have never gotten a 944 then. I'm still interested in buying a 911 but as an extra car, not as a replacement for my 944. I honestly feel that the 944 is one of the best sports cars ever made.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose a 944 instead of another brand/model"