Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Porsche @ just 17

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 04:46 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A Porsche @ just 17

Hey, I just came across your guys great 944 forum, sure beats all those jap-car forums. I am the relatively new owner of a 1987 944 n/a in get this, lemon yellow. How rare is that? Anyway, I got the car in great condition in august, three days before my 18th b-day. It was a long and heart wrenching search. Heart wrenching because I saw so many great cars slip out between my fingers, like a 1990 s2 with 100,000 kms in new condition for only $12,500 canadian!! Some chick got it without even inspecting it the day I was going to put a down payment, and to add insult to injury, she goes to the same college as me and I see her car every day. The only consolation I have is that I raced and beat her on the highway and her car is always stinkin dirty and mine always shines (has less valvetrain problems too). My ownership has been a tale of hills and valleys, I caught the Porsche bug real early (8 yrs old) thanks to my dad and his 79 911 sc targa and 87 911 cabrio with appearance package and 30,000 kms. I got the car after an inspection showed what I already knew. I have loved and hated the car. Loved because all of the obvious Porsche qualities and hated because of the skyhigh repair bills. It all started 2 weeks after I got the car. I diagnosed bad high tension leads and replaced them on my own. That was kind of cool. Then the infamous "clunk" came from the rear after releasing the clutch....The rubber center was toast. I got it replaced at an awesome shop where I know most of the guys and they give me good deals when they can and offer great advice. When my buddy the service manager saw my torn clutch, he got the technician to replace it with a spring center clutch. That was cool. The shop also had enough experience to send the flywheel to be machined. All was fine and dandy and I even had enough to buy a rear turbo valence after the heavy$$ clutch job. Then one fine day, I was gunning it past a neat little benz 300CE and decided to keep the fast pace when a truck pulled in front of me without any warning. I slammed the brakes but the crappy-compound BF-G's skidded bad (about 30-40 feet!) in a plume of tire smoke. The bald BF-G's were flat spotted. I got a great set of Kumho ecsta supras (on fat design 90 wheels off a late 928 S4, they are similar to 951S wheels) from the aformentioned shop at a killer price. They are excellent performers in wet and dry,they never skid and they look great. I recomend them to everyone. That was fine. I still had enough dough to get the valence and the momo wheel for which I also had a nice Porsche crest for. Then, on a friday night, my car wouldnt budge from a gas station near my house. The clutch master cylinder had been replaced a day before because of lost pedal pressure and I was warned about the slave, but we didnt have enough time. I looked under the car while trying to build some hydraulic pressure by pumping the clutch pedal and all I saw was a nice little drip-drop of castrol brake fluid coming from under the car. The pedal was dead. I called my buddy who lives across the street from the station to help me move the car to the parking of the station. Thankfully he was still awake. I called BCAA and they towed me home. My shiny yellow Porsche was immobilised. I was pissed. I refilled the fluid resevoir with some dot4 and pumped the clutch the next day and to my joy the clutch engaged. I hoped I could continue the top-off method till monday but the next day the nice little drip-drop turned into a fountain of dot4 brake fluid. I got it towed on Monday and the problem was fixed. I have since then replaced the motor oil with mobil-1 synthetic, the oil filter with a bosch unit and the air filter with a Mann unit. I went stock with the air filter cause I figured I was going to get a cone filter anyways in the long run. I have also built a straight pipe but I will only install it after I get the cone filter. The latest problem is with the sealed front struts. I'm solving that by getting koni sport yellow shock inserts with adjustable dampening along with a neat height adjustable coil over kit offered only for those shocks. Awesome, the coilovers cost only $240 US from paragon-products. So I will have fully adjustable front sport suspension for only $545 USD. rear coilovers are too expensive though, I think I'll just get the adjustable shocks for the rear. At least I'm having fun with the car. Next, I want to buy some swepco 201 tranny fluid, which I was told will smoothen and quiet down my relatively loud gearbox. If you have any questions regarding my car or any work done to it feel free to e-mail me. Happy motoring, and remember not to race the rice-rockets, they always rev their motor cycle engines but it seems they are unwilling to commit once a 944 (any version) drops the hammer.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:25 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

hey lemon yellow, where do you live?

this summer i saw a odd yellow 944 with a younger kid driving it out by ottawa beach road, in holland MI. personally i have only seen one of this color yellow porsches, and a younger driver driving it fits your description well. was that your car? or an identical twin.... hehe.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:25 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

It must have been a wanna-be, I live in Vancouver,BC, Canada

Quick Reply: A Porsche @ just 17