Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 10:03 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post CV Joint UPDATE

I pulled my driver's side CV axle over the weekend. Discovered that sure enough one of the joints is shot. The inboard (closest to tranny) CV joint had major scoring in three of the inner race bearings. (those bearings were also black - over heated right?)

Well I repacked them and reinstalled them as I did not have replacements on hand. (ordering them today).

What I did notice is that up until Saturday I had been experiencing a noticeable clunk when I brought my car to a stop. I thought it was the auto tranny downshifting from 3rd to 1st. But it now appears to be the bad CV joint as it unloaded the torque and the bearings settle into or out of the scored areas, because its not occurring with the fresh repack. I'm sure it won't take long for it to start happening again though.

Looking for Advice:

Should I fork out $300 now for all four joint kits, or just replace my driver side. I'm not keen on pulling the passenger side, and spending all the messy time cleaning them, only to find they should be replaced as well. Or maybe pulling them and repacking them now will spare them the same fate as the driver's side. Open for advice - thanks.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:47 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. But opposite sides. I only purchase one side and I'm waiting on new bolts to do the work.

Question, did any of the boots look bad? Theorically(sp), the CV's shouldn't go bad as long as their is grease in there, and there should be grease in there as long as the boots aren't ripped.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:57 AM
TomH
Pro

Boots looked good. Its the heat from the exhaust that typically breaks down the grease on the driver's side, leading to joint failure.

Also, I believe scheduled maintenace dictates repacking every 30,000 miles

fyi: I have read where earlier model 944s were shipped from factory with insufficient amounts of grease in the joints.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:58 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had to do my CV joints this summer. After a lot of searching for rebuild kits or a reasonable joint replacement, I broke down and had CarQuest do both axles (all four joints) at $64/axle. That comes out to $32 per joint. I would also agree with the statement that most joints are shipped with insufficient grease. Add some before assembly and just before you put the axle in the car- add a little more.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:56 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Tom:
I fork out $300 now for all four joint kits
Yes, preferred to replace all 4, including bolts.
Boots can be re-used if you want to take the chance...
Just replace the CV joints, not the shaft, saves a lot of money.

The CV joints leave the manufacturing plant with absolute minimum grease. You need to add a lot, Proper replacement kits will come with an additional tube of grease.

If you have to reduceon funds, you can do both CV joints attached to the gear box.
Always replace in pairs, both inner or both outer joints.
Has something to do with the impulse load on the bearing, the more used one on the opposite side starts to were faster.

Take care
Old 11-13-2001, 04:15 PM
MadMax
Pro

Tom,
Also, check on E-bay. Often you can find an entire axle assembly 2 CV joints and shaft up for auction. Brand new or new rebuilt for $150. Easier install.

Good luck.

Max
Old 11-13-2001, 11:24 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the grease in the boots dryed out in both axels? I would replace all four if I were you, when I ordered my four from Vertexauto they had no grease in or with them, I checked with Carquest but I was told they refurbish the joints and I don't like to do refurb parts like that. I used Vavoline synthetic CV grease in mine.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:38 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I wish I would have checked before I did mine for nearly double the cost and not even new ones (just repacked)...

But I believe Performance Products has complete axle/cv joint rebuilt kits for 200 each (that's including core).

-Matt
Old 11-15-2001, 10:29 AM
TomH
Pro

No grease in boots is not dried out, and none of them are leaking. Just have heavy scoring on inner joint. Ordered 4 new ones from Jason/Paragon on Tuesday. Thanks for input.

Hey Max, can I borrow your torque wrench
Old 11-15-2001, 12:38 PM
MadMax
Pro

Sure man. No problem. Give me a call or email me when you want to borrow it. How much were the new cv's from Paragon?

Regards,
Max
Old 11-15-2001, 01:16 PM
TomH
Pro

I ordered 4 complete kits (joints, boots, bolts, grease, and washers) for about $75 each.

This weekend is not looking promising (I have to build a shed )

I had planned to replace my idle control valve over Thanksgiving, but may have the time to do the joints as well.

Quick Reply: CV Joint UPDATE