Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 or Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001 | 03:44 PM
TomH
Pro

Post 968 or Boxster

Not that I can really afford to go out and trade up for either right now, but I see lots of 968's that are closely priced to 97-98 Boxsters ($28-32K range). Although I have also seen quite a few 968's in the $18-25K range as well.

1. Which would you guys rather have?
2. Which is cheaper to maintain?
Old 12-31-2001 | 04:00 PM
Clem
Racer

Thumbs up

Tom-
I can't really speak to the Boxster as I haven't had the opportunity to drive one. But, I recently purchased a 95 968 coupe with 75k miles, LSD and excellent all-around condition for just under $20k from a private party. I think the prices you're seeing are definitely high. And especially given current market conditions you could look at 92 or 93 for closer to 12-15.
As far as what I like (and really what drove me to the purchase): styling, low maintenance, actual cargo space (esp compared to the Boxster) and most importantly price for performance. In that category, I think the 968 is hard to beat (for a stock model).

Clem
Old 12-31-2001 | 04:10 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Talking

Tom, the real question is which one YOU like?

The 968 will be easier and less expensive to maintain. It will accommodate two adults and two children, unless you get the convertible.

The Boxster is also a nice car. It is a newer car. Since it is a mid engine it is a bit more difficult to work on it, but you might get extended warranty on it. The first cars that came out took a deep depreciation hit when the newer cars with bigger engines hit the market, add to that 9-11 and the economy and it is a perfect buyers market.

My best recommendation is to go out and drive both, look at the lines, and then make your decision.

It is a tough place to be…

Me? Since I have a little one I would have to choose the 968.

Jim! How about a photo of your car!!
Old 12-31-2001 | 05:20 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Tom, you don't say if you're looking at the 968 coupe or cab. That'll influence price a lot, as well as "practicality."

If you want a cute little sports car that will go like hell, the Boxster has the advantage over the 968. But if you're looking for a daily driver with some degree of practicality (dirty word to some), the 968 coupe wins hands down.

Consider the stuff & people you haul from point B to point B during a typical week; will it fit in a Boxster? I've hauled 8' 2x4's & oak trim boards in both the 944 & 968; could maybe be done in the Boxster: I dunno. A weeks worth of groceries for my mother? No problem in the 968, with room to spare. Three adults (two pretty small) for a couple of hours touring around town? Worked, tho' not as well as a sedan.

Handling? I _think_ the Boxster wins by a tiny bit, but may be prone to snap spin when you do lose it. The 968 is more benign, tho' I expect the limits may be a bit lower.

Maintenence? The early Boxsters had some problems, and don't lend themselves to DIY repair, from what I've read; but see the link on pinion bearing problems at www.968.net. Probably hits a small % of these cars, but one to be aware of.

Will you be parking in a place where a soft top will be secure? I really dislike cabs for this reason alone.

I could ramble on, but you need to drive one of each, and think about what you expect from the car. If you get a 968, you're a lot less likely to meet yourself on the road... but many people will have no clue as to what you're driving until you tell them.

Jamie... picture midweek, when I go back to work... too cold to wash it right now, so I need to get a flick off the drive at work.

Jim, with a really cheap system at home, anyway...
Old 12-31-2001 | 05:55 PM
Sean
Drifting

I would drive both to be certain. I have a Boxster S and a 944 NA.

My guess is that the 968 would provide more performance satisfaction IF raw HP is what you are seeking. The 968 will be easier to modify from a performance standpoint. It will also have more legroom, which matters if you are a tall guy.

However, the Boxster is an amazing car, extremely well balanced and with a lot more storage space than meets the eye (remember, there are TWO trunks). The Boxster convertible feature is fantastic - it's hard to beat the sound of that flat-six wail with the top down. The Boxster is a newer car and would probably provide you with fewer short term maintenance worries (no guarantees there, though).

The fact that very few 968's were produced will help the car hold its value. The Boxster will continue to depreciate just because it's so popular; but over time, Boxster parts will be readily available and the car may be viewed as a classic.

If I had to choose one, I would go for the Boxster. But note that I would shoot for the 2000 2.7L or a 3.2L S if I could afford it. This is a total buyer's market for Porsches right now. If you have money to spend, you may be able to afford more than you think.
Old 12-31-2001 | 10:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is a 968 convertible an option? I've
ALWAYS wanted one of those... Very unique!
Old 12-31-2001 | 11:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Early Boxters give up a lot to the 968 in power, no 6 speed, exclusivity (I think they're past 50,000 units, half made in Finland), practicality etc etc etc. I've got two young kids, so my choice is made there already-but if I was single and had a winter car I'd be tempted by an S.

Nah, I'd go to Powerhaus, have them stuff in a motor, and go looking for 911's to carve up. I hate the plastic window on the car-can't believe it's only this year they put glass on the 80K Carrera Cab. There's my vote!
Old 01-01-2002 | 04:08 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Robby, Yep. Take your pick, cab or coupe. In the US, there were only about 2500 of each sold total from '92 thru '95, from what I've read. The S2 was also offered as a cab, but I'm not sure of the yeas or production numbers.

Jim.. getting kinda sleepy here...
Old 01-01-2002 | 10:29 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd have a hard time deciding myself. There's only one thing about the Boxster S I don't like style-wise, and that's the single, centered tail pipe. I think autos function symbolically as analogs to organisms... they have faces, etc...I find the organic visual analog of that tail pipe.. distasteful...

Thaddeus
Old 01-01-2002 | 12:28 PM
ast2000
Instructor

Very well said Thaddeus
Old 01-01-2002 | 12:43 PM
Dave
Race Car

There's only one thing about the Boxster S I don't like style-wise, and that's the single, centered tail pipe. I think autos function symbolically as analogs to organisms... they have faces, etc...I find the organic visual analog of that tail pipe.. distasteful...
I don't even want your thoughts on the original Batmobile
Old 01-01-2002 | 05:30 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I would personally take a Boxster IF it came in a Coupe. Since it doesn't, I would take the 968, but that is just me.
Old 01-01-2002 | 05:38 PM
Sean
Drifting

The Boxster S has a dual tailpipe, while the base Boxster has the large single tailpipe. This is one of the few cosmetic differences between the S and the base model. (The other differences are the third radiator opening in the front spoiler, and titanium coloring on the radiators and windshield trim.)

I agree... IMHO, the large, single tailpipe of the Boxster is not very flattering!

(Note that some people, however, prefer the design simplicity of the single pipe.)
Old 01-02-2002 | 11:30 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually Jim, what I meant by asking if the 968 convertible was an option, was- is it an option financially? I know 968 convertibles existed (in fairly small #'s, as did S2 convertibles), but I also know that they are usually more expensive. Of course, it might have been a silly question anyway, as I assume that Boxster's (even the earliest ones) would probably be more expensive- I'm not too up on the Boxster situation. I like them and all, but they're not what I'd buy for the $. Of course (and I'll probably get burned for saying this), I'm really leaning towards the Audi S4's here lately, if I were going to buy something new, but alas, they too are FAR out of my league
Old 01-02-2002 | 12:04 PM
TimC
Instructor

Originally posted by Dave:
<STRONG>

I don't even want your thoughts on the origonal Batmobile </STRONG>
"OK Cartman, you can stop farting fire now!" "I would if I could, you son of a bitch!"

T

(what do I care, someone already voted my hard-earned 5th star away!)

Quick Reply: 968 or Boxster