Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door glass - Lexan or plexi

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door glass - Lexan or plexi

I have 944S2 track car with gutted doors (no glass) and I'd like to install plexi or Lexan door windows to keep the inside dry when trailering to events (open trailer). Can't seem to find a source.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Upstate101
I have 944S2 track car with gutted doors (no glass) and I'd like to install plexi or Lexan door windows to keep the inside dry when trailering to events (open trailer). Can't seem to find a source.
Home Depot, although you will need to cut it yourself, which is easy to do. I have made trailer/travel windows for a number of racecars over the years, they work well. A simple aluminum "L" bracket is the easiest way to hold them in place.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use polycarbonate/lexan.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, home depot has sheets you can trace against a factory window. I cut slots near the top where you can use velcro to secure the window to the frame in the up position when in transport.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want formed (curved) windows e Lindsey racing sells them or alternatively performance plastics (uk)
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Do people actually supplant glass for lexan and keep the winders in some situations? I know this isn't viewed as normal for a race application but I've heard of someone doing this and I thought for the extra weight of a manual winding system it would be quite handy to be able to open and close at will.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Do people actually supplant glass for lexan and keep the winders in some situations? I know this isn't viewed as normal for a race application but I've heard of someone doing this and I thought for the extra weight of a manual winding system it would be quite handy to be able to open and close at will.
This is exactly what I'm doing.
However, my car is not strictly track - it needs to stay road registrable for the tarmac rallys and as such needs to have windows. For some reason.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

For my racecar, I didn't feel like going to HomeDepot and buying an (expensive) sheet of lexan, so I used what I already had, my glass windows.

My door is gutted, but I left the side tracks in place. I drilled a hole through the door and the bottom of the window glass bracket, and pinned it with a hitch pin when in place. At the track, pop the hitch pin out and pull the glass.

When I'm trailing with my enclosed trailer, I just leave the glass and pin in place in the door.
Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
flashx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I use to use was called Mar guard Its similar to Lexan but alcohol or gasolene will not make it fog up permanately. It easy to work with just like any plexy. Make a cardboard patern of the window you want to make then just transfer that to you plexiglass. I use a jig saw then block sand the edges to smooth them out. One trick to make the windows work is to cut a slot in the inside top of the door then get an old seat belt and run it through the slot and attach it to the bottom of the window. You pull on the seat belt to make the window come up then attach the seat belt clip to the bottom of the inside of the door. Pull the seat belt to raise the window then snap the buckle part to the bottom of the door and the window will stay up

Quick Reply: door glass - Lexan or plexi