Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Variocam Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
RonBGA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Variocam Maintenance

I need some advice on the Variocam maintenance system on the 968. I owned a 944 for about 9 years and it’s been too long so I have been searching for another one. This lead me to also look at S2 and 968 models as well. The 944 is straight forward with timing and balance shaft belts every 40k miles and water pump every other belt change being fairly standard. Timing belt and balance belts and water pump appear pretty much in step with the 944. Information on 968 maintenance regarding the Variocam system, however, seems to be rather all over the place depending on what you read and this is the problem.

The 968 models I would be looking at are 50k-90k miles but age is the real issue. Of all the 968s I’ve looked at (admittedly only 11 so far) only 1 had any inspection of the Variocam in the past and one other actually had the chain, pads, pressure system and both cams replaced. The other 9, nothing. I’ve read many posts on various websites and the general consensus on maintenance of the system is this: Remove the cover and inspect the pads, cam gears and chain for excessive wear every 12k-30k miles and replace the parts as needed. I read one site that allegedly had the 968’s maintenance schedule and it said that the entire Variocam assembly (chain, both pads and both cams) should be replaced as part of the 90k miles service. The 968 I mentioned that had Variocam work done did just this because the local Porsche dealership said this was important 90k mile maintenance and failure to do it could result in the usual catastrophic piston to valve smashing if the system got too far out of spec.

I’m all on board with frequent inspection but I’m really more concerned with the question of whether replacement of the cams is really part of normal maintenance. I figure the cars are so old now that any one I select should really have the pads changed and if I’m doing that the chain should be done as well. The fellow with the 968 that had Variocam work done (including the changing of both cams) said the Porsche dealership didn’t explain WHY the cams needed to be changed but I believe it’s due to wear concerns of the gear teeth on the 2 cams. So it seems, to be safer than sorry, Porsche says to change both cams every 90k miles.

Does anyone with a 968 or 968 knowledge know for certain about the Variocam maintenance? Again, I understand the inspection but am very concerned with the cam replacement. Also, if anyone knows the cost of the work I would appreciate that as well.

While I loved my 944, I would really like to get a 968 this time around. My concerns about the rear hatch/glass delamination (by the way, I can’t believe that in the over 15 years since I had my 944 NO ONE has solved this problem with all the advancements in adhesive technology) leaves me looking at 944S2 and 968 cab models. I realize that because I intend to drive the car, I am not looking at this as an investment. But what I want to avoid is buying a car, putting in the belts and water pump and then face some $3000-5000 bill for cam replacement.

Thanks,

Ron B.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe the actual camshafts are a inspect/replace if necessary item. The only reason you'd want to replace the camshaft would be if any teeth are worn/broken. The gears are actually pressed on. There were rumors that someone had figured out a way to remove/replace the gears, but I don't know much more than that.

Camshaft tooth wear could come about if the pads have worn enough to allow more slack than ideal in the chain. Thus the need for frequent inspection of pads, chain, and camshaft teeth.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

No need to replace the camshafts on a 968 unless as mention any teeths are broken or worn out.What you got to look at are the pads/chain & tensioner,specially the pads (lower & upper) which will turn brittle with age & mileage & break sometime causing severe damage to the tensioner & chain in the worst case scenario it could also damage your head. Unlike the T/B BSB there is no set mileage for replacing the pads but most 968/S/S2 owners agree they should be look at at around 80/90K miles ( this is for a street driven 968).Never heard of replacing the tensioner & chain at 90k miles unless there is something really wrong with them.If you do buy a 968 the main thing is to try to find an independant shop or mechanic (not a dealer) which know all about the 16V 3.0 ltr,since you don't mention being able to do the maintenance yourself it will save you a lot of money.Btw a PPI is golden rule when buying any use Porsche.GL
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
RonBGA
Intermediate

Thank you both for the replies. I would never consider any car without a PPI. I do feel better with your input. I guess the dealers want to go ultra safe and ultra expensive and just replace instead of inspect. It would appear that with proper care of the chains and pads and use of good oil with proper changes (I'm a RedLine only user) the wear on the gear teeth should be minimized. As with all used cars, I just have to spend the time to find the right example to start with.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 944S has 170k and as far as I know the cams have never been replaced. The Pads and chain have been but not the cams. The teeth look fine and as such i'm in no huge hurry to replace them based on that.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No reason to replace the cams unless there is already damage.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
car_slave
Pro

They should be good for 90K, no need to do periodic inspections. Unfortunately you really need to take the cams off to do a proper inspection on the pads and cam teeth. They are hard to see properly with everything in place. Mine looked fine until I took them out and found a bunch of broken teeth and deep grooves in the pads (117K miles). Cracked cam teeth are inherent to the 968. I got mine rebuilt for about $650. I’d have to guess this could easily be a $2K job.
If I were you I’d buy a car which already had this job done.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got it to work. Click on the link below and save the PDF file. Tells all about the 968 Virocam Inspection.

http://www.968forums.com/topic/7-variocam-inspection/

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 12-11-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Edit

Quick Reply: 968 Variocam Maintenance