Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal half-depressed after turning cruise control off, but can be pulled back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
darrengj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened the fuse box cover and loosened the 2 plastic screws. I then tried to pull the fuse panel up, but there was a lot of resistance. I am thinking that there must not be enough slack in the wires to pull the panel up.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 AM
CliveB
Intermediate

Hi, I had a similar problem recently after being stuck in traffic jam for a long time but I do recall it happening occasionally before. I found some information in the archives where a possible cause is the clutch pedal itself. I can't recall the exact problem and cure but I think it is the pivot bearing and/or spring adjustment. There was a stronger spring fitted from Feb '86 so I assume Porsche were aware of some issue. The spring arrangement is odd. I need to find the information again as I have yet to fix it. However, I'm fairly sure a dose of spray lubricant might well do the deed in the short term, especially easy for you LHD owners if you can just move the fuse box.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darrengj
I opened the fuse box cover and loosened the 2 plastic screws. I then tried to pull the fuse panel up, but there was a lot of resistance. I am thinking that there must not be enough slack in the wires to pull the panel up.
Yep...

I pulled the fuse panel in my friends '86T to correct electrical gremlins, harness connectors were not full seated/ locked in.

If the panel has never been out, in addition to removing the plastic cover under the box, there will be harness ties keeping the cables in order which you will need to release before the panel will allow access. Please disconnect both battery cables before messing with the box.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by CliveB
Hi, I had a similar problem recently after being stuck in traffic jam for a long time but I do recall it happening occasionally before. I found some information in the archives where a possible cause is the clutch pedal itself. I can't recall the exact problem and cure but I think it is the pivot bearing and/or spring adjustment. There was a stronger spring fitted from Feb '86 so I assume Porsche were aware of some issue. The spring arrangement is odd. I need to find the information again as I have yet to fix it. However, I'm fairly sure a dose of spray lubricant might well do the deed in the short term, especially easy for you LHD owners if you can just move the fuse box.
Thanks for this, Clive- that would sound about right as it works fine otherwise. I'll squirt something up there tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 951Saga
Yep...

I pulled the fuse panel in my friends '86T to correct electrical gremlins, harness connectors were not full seated/ locked in.

If the panel has never been out, in addition to removing the plastic cover under the box, there will be harness ties keeping the cables in order which you will need to release before the panel will allow access. Please disconnect both battery cables before messing with the box.
Great advice! This isn't an area that would take too kindly to mistakes.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal half-depressed after turning cruise control off, but can be pulled back?