Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left turn signal speed changes when headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Left turn signal speed changes when headlights on

This is an 84 944 NA
Okay, so I had noticed a week ago that my left signals flash slightly faster than my right signals. usually that indicates a bulb out.
But i drive a lot with my parking lights/fogs on, and yesterday i noticed that with no lights on, my left signals flash normal speed. if i flip the parking lights on when my left signal is on, it speeds up. if i do the same to the right side, no affect.
ground problem? i know i have a ground issue somewhere already, because my brake pad light is on and it dims opposite the signals when they are on. also i have the fuel/temp gauge jump when i turn my fans on.
i have added a second ground strap from the battery to the bellhousing in addition to the batt-firewall, and firewall-block. so a dash ground somewhere?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think i just read what the problem is, gonna check it out in a minute - the rear bulbs it sounds like should be dual filament, and mine is a single that i just replaced it with last week. curious, why are the rears dual filament? they arent used for anything else are they?
here are symptoms in case anyone reads this and cares =p

turn signals work fine with lights off. when headlights or parking lights are on, the green indicator flashes slightly more rapidly. when you get out and look at the rear of the car, the turn signal lights up, and all taillights dim. when the signal flashes off, they all light up. it looks kind of like your hazards are on, but it makes EVERY bulb in the rear light up a little bit. pretty weird! guess i need another bulb!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Electrically these cars do weird stuff. In my 944 when I turned the headlight on the wipers would do one sweep also. It cleared up when I cleaned and greased the contacts in the control module

Quick Reply: Left turn signal speed changes when headlights on