Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle and Fuel leak 1986 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 AM
muskaroxs
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle and Fuel leak 1986 944

Trying to help the neighbor with his 1986 944 to get it going again as it's been sitting for over a year so we got it started and it has a really rough idle and I noticed fuel leaking right by the regulator where it connects to the hose. Is this a fairly common problem and is that the cause of my rough idle? I'm guessing it is because the computer is reading the wrong measurement for Air/Fuel......
Thanks for the help!

EDIT^^^^^^ The leak is right before the regulator on the hose.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 AM
bordin34
Pro

DO NOT START THE CAR AGAIN.
First buy the replacement hoses, then you can continue troubleshooting.
How old is the gas? Spark Plugs?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
muskaroxs
Cruisin'

The gas in the car is 1.5 years old and the oil looked fresh as well before we started it.
Anyone recommend this kit?
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...-944-SFLK.html

or can I just pick them up from the dealership?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get dealership parts, alternately LART has some good ones over at http://www.lartsperformanceparts.com...el-System.html

Also Travis at Rennbay has a good kit http://www.rennbay.com/fuel-hose-rep...ate-p-147.html
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
bordin34
Pro

I got my jumper line from lart and the other two that go over the exhaust from rennbay.
Old gas is probably part of the problem with it not running right. Check over the ignition system. How do the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor look? Is the Throttle Position Sensor functioning correctly?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

If the FPR has a crack in the diaphragm it will allow fuel to pass thru and get sucked into the intake, causing it to run rich (more so at idle). I would replace the FPR as well as the lines/ hoses.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Boy, you may have dodged a BIG one. Glad you opened dialogue on this site before the car caught fire. The Fuel Pressure Regulator may well be bad, as well as the Fuel Pressure Damper. After you replace the lines, check on the vacuum side of the FPR and FPD to see if there's gas in the vacuum side. If so, they're shot. I'd drain the gasoline out of the tank by either using a suction line/pump you can get at any autoparts store or Harbor Freight or disconnect the fuel filter line (I'd plan to replace the filter) and run the pump until tank is empty. Once you get good gas in there, then do your trouble-shooting. If it's running crappy after these checks, it could well be vacuum lines. I'd search this site to see about vacuum system testing. There's some good stuff. Good luck
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM
muskaroxs
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Boy, you may have dodged a BIG one. Glad you opened dialogue on this site before the car caught fire. The Fuel Pressure Regulator may well be bad, as well as the Fuel Pressure Damper. After you replace the lines, check on the vacuum side of the FPR and FPD to see if there's gas in the vacuum side. If so, they're shot. I'd drain the gasoline out of the tank by either using a suction line/pump you can get at any autoparts store or Harbor Freight or disconnect the fuel filter line (I'd plan to replace the filter) and run the pump until tank is empty. Once you get good gas in there, then do your trouble-shooting. If it's running crappy after these checks, it could well be vacuum lines. I'd search this site to see about vacuum system testing. There's some good stuff. Good luck
Thanks for the advice and i'll know more tomorrow after we look at it again. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow and we get it running correct. I really appreciate everyone's advice! thanks again!

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and Fuel leak 1986 944