Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 944 S3 Stalling... won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '91 944 S3 Stalling... won't start.

On my way to a client the other day and... it stalled. Got it running after a few tries then... it stalled again. Tried some more and... nope. Kept trying while waiting for the AAA truck... nope. Wore the battery down.
This happened a couple of weeks ago and I thought I'd fixed it when I replaced the fuel pump. It worked for a couple of weeks and now... once again... cranks and cranks, occasionally seems to catch but then nothing. Now, sometimes, when I turn the key I get nothing at all. Then, I try again and it cranks and cranks.

My guess is it's either not getting fuel, which doesn't fit since the pump is new.
I think it's behaving like a carbureted car that's flooded, or it's the ignition. Could this be a coil gone South? It's probably the original coil and the car has 208K miles on the odo.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MacinTek
On my way to a client the other day and... it stalled. Got it running after a few tries then... it stalled again. Tried some more and... nope. Kept trying while waiting for the AAA truck... nope. Wore the battery down.
This happened a couple of weeks ago and I thought I'd fixed it when I replaced the fuel pump. It worked for a couple of weeks and now... once again... cranks and cranks, occasionally seems to catch but then nothing. Now, sometimes, when I turn the key I get nothing at all. Then, I try again and it cranks and cranks.

My guess is it's either not getting fuel, which doesn't fit since the pump is new.
I think it's behaving like a carbureted car that's flooded, or it's the ignition. Could this be a coil gone South? It's probably the original coil and the car has 208K miles on the odo.

Any other ideas?
Oddly My Turbo is doing the same thing...I know you have a different engine but I think mine is reference sensors.
One downside to the small body starter is that it is associated with cold weather starting problems on some cars. I've witnessed this on one of my 87 turbos. Under certain circumstances, during starting, the starter will balk as though the ignition has fired well ahead of TDC. I believe that is exactly what is happening too. The small body starter creates a large electromagnetic field that can be falsely sensed by the reference sensor, which triggers a spark. This spark comes too early and causes one of the cylinders to fire early - effectively backing up the engine. This problem was finally traced to a deteriorating harness to reference sensor connector. In my case the shield wire for had separated within the connector and allowed the reference sensor to act as an antenna. The starter's magnetic induction field was being picked up by the sensor and interpreted as reference pulse by the DME.

Via: http://arnnworx.com/starter.htm This sounds like what was going on with mine.

What you describe " behaving like a carbureted car that's flooded, or it's the ignition" describes the sounds mine made
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Hmmm... cold weather situations don't apply here where it's been between 78 and 98 degrees.
So the solution is... check the reference sensor connections? replace the starter? check the reference sensor harness? All of the above?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Bad ignition switch?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
turbodave
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the ignition switch. It's one of the biggest culprits when it comes to electrical problems. It would be a better world if they would just die completely, but they don't they become intermitant, and can send you off in a hundred different directions. The DME must see 12v before the magic can happen!

Quick Reply: '91 944 S3 Stalling... won't start.